Scully

Default Chetwood Family In Wem

Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in knowing if anyone here has any relatives by the name of CHETWOOD who I believe were a farming family in Wem Shropshire. My father was placed with a family called CHETWOOD when he was evacuated from Liverpool. I have a photograph of my father with some of his family and Mrs Chetwood and a couple of other boys who were also placed with the Chetwood family. My dad's name was John Scully and his sister Ronnie (Veronica) was placed with the family for a while.
    I thought someone may be interested in the photograph with Mrs Chetwood on it, though it's poor quality, it could be special to someone.
    My dad always talked fondly of Mr Mrs Chetwood.
    Hope this is of interest to someone and if anyone could tell me any information on the Chetwoods I'd really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Tracey.

MJHulme

Hello Tracey

I have looked in Kelly's Directory of Shropshire published 1941 in the hope that it would tell us where in Wem the CHETWOOD family were farming / living but no-one with that surname is listed in the area.

Mike
    Shropshire, UK
    Last edited by MJHulme; 04-02-2007 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Correct title

Scully

Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking an interest in my message. I too have looked for information on the Chetwood family but without any success.
    I know they had a farm in 1939 as that's when my dad was placed with them when he was 9 years old. He stayed with the family until he was 12 or 13 and he always spoke fondly of them and the farm they lived on.
    It would be nice to pass on a copy of the photo to someone who is connected with the Chetwood family. Maybe someone will recognise who I'm talking about.
    Thanks again for your interest and for taking the time to look for the Chetwoods.

Kind regards,

Tracey.

nchitwood

Hi Tracey

I'd be very interested in a copy of your photo of the Chetwoods from Wem. While I don't have "proof" of lineage, I have a strong feeling that my English relative was from the Wem area (dating back to the 1600's!) with regards to a Lawrance/Lawrence Chetwood in 1692

In pursuit of the family you were searching for, have you attempted various spellings of the name? Chettwood; Chetwynd etc.

Feel free to contact me directly at Chitwood_N (at) msn.com

Sincerely

Nona Chitwood
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Last edited by Jan1954; 29-01-2008 at 9:14 PM. Reason: Email address

secclest

Default CHETWOOD Family

Hello,
    I would be very interested in receivin gan email of the photo if it is not too much trouble. We can track our Chetwood/Chitwood line back to Matthias Chetwood who came to America before 1695 and was likely born in 1681. Family lore claims he came from Hereford, England. But I have been researching a number of Chetwoods and have certainly seen Wem mentioned.
    Many thanks,
    Selley

GChetwood

Hello,

I may be able to help you with your enquiry. My Grandparents were a farming family who lived near Wem. They were George and Jeannie who during the war lived in a small hamlet called Booley. They subsequently moved to Loppington. They had 3 sons- George, William (my father) and Cyril (known as Jack). George,the son, was in the army during the war and spent most of his time in North Africa. Jack was too young to be involved inthe war so he would have been at home. My father was called up at the end of the war and joined the navy. However he would have been at home at the start of the war.
    I would love to see a copy of the photograph.
    If anybody is interested in the family tree I have a lot of information. However it gets complicated as although today Chetwood is not a common name in the late 1700's there were lots of Chetwod's living in Shropshire and particularly around Wem.

Graham

sarahbarry

Hello Shelley I believe that Mr and Mrs Chetwood that you talk about may be my Grandmother and Grandfather. Do you have any first names? My Grandfather farmed the land during the second world war and I know we had some German POWs working the land with them but my mum never mentioned any evacuees. Regards Sarah