Question When did Robert leave

Hi
    I am looking for Robert Povah born abt 1824 in Wrexham, he moved to Boston some time befor 1850 as I have found Robert and wife Ellen on the census, I think he met Ellen when he got to Boston, but I dont know.
    If any one can help I realy would appreciate it,
    Regards Sue

Leander

Information below is from Massachusetts Vital Records, 1841-1910.

Robert Povah married Ellen Sheehy on April 27, 1850 in Boston.

Their children, all born in Boston:

Catherine E., April 15, 1851.

Emily, December 27, 1853. Also a Boston marriage record for her, June 7, 1877. She married Clemens Dirksmier, son of Charles and Mary Dirksmier.

Albert Clarence, September 19, 1855.

Robert Samuel, January 3, 1859.

Elizabeth Ann, June 28, 1860. There is also a Boston marriage record for Elizabeth Ann, August 10, 1882. She married Spidor J Ochs, son of Isador and Lucenia Ochs.

Albert John, December 5, 1861. Did something happen to the first Albert (Clarence)? This Albert married in Boston, February 27, 1896, Clothilde M. Kelleher (also of Boston), daughter of Daniel and Margaret Kelleher. Like his father, Albert John is a machinist.

Eugenia M., September 26, 1866. Married in Boston June 8, 1892 to John Lynch, son of James and Margaret Lynch.

For all births their father, Robert, is listed as a machinist, born in England. Their mother, Ellen, is listed as being born in Ireland.

There is a death record for Ellen Sheehy Povah in 1898, but the image for this death record is not yet available so I don't have any other information on that event.

I could not find any death records for the others, so they either (A) died after 1910, (B) left Massachusetts, or (C) their records are not available either because: they were destroyed in a fire or some other disaster, were illegible due to the wear and tear of time, or have not yet been recorded digitally.

There was a few other Povahs in the records who could have been Robert and Ellen's grandchildren, so their sons must have married, perhaps outside of Massachusetts, or, as stated above, the records are not available. One child, Elsie, was born in Boston in 1883 and died the same year in Fall River, Massachusetts. Parents are listed as Robert and HELEN, so perhaps Robert Samuel (2) married a woman named Helen. Or there's an very remote chance that the mother's name should have been Ellen, instead of Helen. It's a tough decision.

I will see if there's anything else to be found.

Cheers!

Deb

Leander

There was an Ellen Sheehy who arrived in Boston on May 22, 1848. She was 21 years old and traveling without family. She arrived on the ship "Haidee", whose last port of departure was Liverpool. She was from Ireland.

So, yes, it appears that they met in Boston. I can't find a Povah immigration record that fits your ancestor, so it's the best assumption we can make.

Wirral

I can find only 2 Robert POVAHs of any age in the 1841 census. One is only 12 (so born abt 1829), the other is age 15 (so born abt 1822-26 as ages 15+ were rounded down to nearest 5 years). Y=born in county, N=born outside county.
    HO107/580/16 folio 18 page 28, Ormond St, Chorlton upon Medlock, Manchester, Lancashire
    John Povah 35 Tailor, N (Wales)
    Sophia Povah 55 Y
    Mary Williams 16 mths, Y
    [next door]
    Sarah Povah N (E) [England]
    Robert Povah 15 Y

Marks made by the enumerator indicate that Mary Williams was not of the same family group as John & Sophia Povah. He had also shown which country a person came from if they were born outside the county.

Leander

Oops, should have mentioned that, for the marriage, Robert's age was 24 years old on April 27, 1850. Ellen was 21 on that date.

Robert's occupation is listed as whitesmith.

Robert's father's name is John. Ellen's father's name is Eugene.

Smile Big thankyou

Hi
    Thankyou so much for all this information, I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you. This info is great I really appreciate it , and it has filled a lot of gaps
    Thanks again
    Regards Sue