Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dennis Harker

The William Hammants on the Ancestry U.S. Census reports do not tie in with the birth in Fulham 1892. I have looked through the Immigration Passenger lists and there are a couple of William Hammants but all before the 1901 census.

As Mutley says there are plenty of William Hammonds, not so many William Hammants.

I have found the birth index and Mutley's transcription is correct : Fulham 4th Qtr 1892 Vol 1a Page 239.

I have also found the 1901 census which shows him at age 8 living with his family in Bexley Kent.

I have the images of those two reports - do you wish them to be forwarded by email or have you got them already? They don't actually help much as you knew the info already.

I will have a further look sometime but it's not looking promising.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Red face

Thanks Mutley and Dennis Harker for your time and effort.
    I do have his birth and census records and you've both now discovered my stumbling block

If his name has been transcribed as Hammond by mistake, I don't know where to start!

Thanks anyway, it's much appreciated

Mutley

Hi A Lee
    God knows how many of us are waiting with great anticipation for the 1911 census! It may just move us on a bit, if it ever gets transcribed?

The weird bit about yours is I have a step family of Hammonds from the Bexley area, when I get around to tracking them I will let you know if they are not your Hammants, hopefully before 2011

Sorry, that's not much help. For a census I have had to do a long hard slog and check each wrong name (eg. Hammond) to see if they in their right place. But for a death it is almost impossible to order all those wrong certificates, even if you ask them to do a check. Check what????

Maybe the will is your next try, most of my lot did not have enough to know the meaning of the word 'will', lets hope, for you, you will be lucky. Let us know.....

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley
    God knows how many of us are waiting with great anticipation for the 1911 census
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/131.htm

Mutley

We are now at the stage of detailed discussions with a short list of potential suppliers. It is intended that the contract for the service to deliver the 1911 census online will be awarded in March 2007.
    Ooooh I can't wait........

Mutley

I was going through the LMA site for Black Sheep and spotted this:

William Hammet, born abt 1860 in Suffolk. Was released from Wandsworth Prison on 26/4/1873 age 14. His sentence was 1 months hard labour and 4 years in a reformatory for embezzling.

Not one of yours is he?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Possibly this may be your William Hammant.

Birth reg 1892 Fulham vol 1a page 177 William Hannant.

Julie

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Oooh it's a confusing business isn't it?

Thanks Mutley and Blue Eyes for your comments. I haven't looked too far into possible name variations as it does tend to throw up numerous 'possibilities' with no real way of proving for certain. I will however take all your suggestions on board and things may piece themselves together!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12