Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Geoffers

Default How to find army records for the Boer War

How to find army records for the South African (Boer) War 1899-1902
    (a very brief summary just to get you started)

For those who died:
    Search the Index to Natal and South Africa Forces deaths 1899-1902. It is available at the Family Records centre (FRC) in London and The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. The index has been copied onto fiches and can be viewed at many Local Studies' Libraries and County Record Offices.

For Officers' services:
    Search the 'Army List' to trace details of an officer's career. Published annually since 1754, you can find partial runs of the list in most large libraries.

For Other ranks:
    Search the Medal Rolls at TNA in document class WO100
    Most army records are held in TNA - for service in the army see the Soldiers' Document in document class WO97.

Those who served in the Imperial Yeomanry are in class WO128. A publication (available at TNA) is useful here:

'The roll of the Imperial Yeomanry, Scottish Horse and Lovats Scouts, 2nd Boer War 1899-1902' by K J Asplin - it is an 'alphabetical list of 39,800 men of these volunteer forces who enlisted for the 2nd Boer War.'

A selection of records relating to disabled Naval ratings and soldiers who received disability pensions and who served between 1877 and 1914 are in a file PIN71 at TNA. This is searchable using 'The Catalogue' the search engine for TNA records available at
    https://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.asp

mcope

Thanks for the reference to WO128 for the Imperial Yeomanry.

My wife's ggfather is said to have fought in the Boer War, but no one knows which regiment, and I failed to find his discharge papers in WO97. I'm a bit miffed that the NA information note on discharge papers does not mention WO128.

From ProCAT I see that WO128 is filed in regimental number order in 165 boxes and from Kevin Asplin's site I now have numbers for six William Whites to look at. Hopefully one of them will come up trumps.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by mcope
    Thanks for the reference to WO128 for the Imperial Yeomanry.
    My wife's ggfather is said to have fought in the Boer War, but no one knows which regiment.....From ProCAT I see that WO128 is filed in regimental number order in 165 boxes and from Kevin Asplin's site I now have numbers for six William Whites to look at. Hopefully one of them will come up trumps.
    A couple of last thoughts - local armed forces are in TNA in WO126 + 127, and for some auxilliary forces and the City Yeomanry records are held at the Guildhall Library, London

Good luck

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

davet

Default S.Africa Defence Force Roll of Honour

I found one of my missing 1900 men on the SADF Roll of Honour, a civil servant he had vanished from the UK records. I found him, eventually. He had apparently been overcome by patriotic fervour and joined the City Imperial Volunteers and never came home.

I later verified the entry on the G.R.O. Natal and South African Forces Deaths: 1899-1902 fiches, in fact I suspect the 1900 entries on this site are taken from the fiches.

Not a primary source but a handy reference .

dave
    Last edited by davet; 05-01-2005 at 12:35 PM.

johndixon

Default George Daynes

I really can't thank everyone enough for all the advise & information.
    As I stated previously, I am a relative newcomer to this research & it is refreshing to find people who are so willing to give good advise freely.

I have enough info to keep me busy for some time now & hopefully I will find George Daynes.

John

kliffy

Default Royal Irish Constabluary in Boer War

Hello,

I am trying to found out more about a Royal Irish Constabluary Constable, Thomas Martin Craddock who served in the Boer War.

There was apprently 15 handpicked men who where part of a hospital corps funded and equipped for the army by Lord Iveagh. The 15 strong party was recruited from the RIC and personally inspected and seen off to South Africa by the Inspector General, Sir Andrew Reed, at Phoenix Park, Dublin on 31 January 1900.

Would anyone know where the records may be for these gentleman, as they would not have been serving soldiers, or what their Queens South African medal record may be listed under.

Thanks

Kliffy

Spook2

My great grandfather is said to have (by family members) served in the boer war, his name was Archibald Neale. I believe he was under 18yrs old when joined up. I have found an A E Neale on the Hertfordshire war memorial but don't know if it is him. He was born around 1885 possibly in halesowen. can anyone help

carli

Default Boer War & beyond records?

Hi! I was glad to see this thread. I have just joined this site today, so forgive me if this topic has already been broached in a different thread.

I am not new to genealogy research, but have absolutely no experience yet with British military records. I am looking for more info on my 3rd grand-great Uncle James Hannon McCourt. He was born in Ireland ca 1847-1849 and joined the British Army. I do not know what regiment, nor whether it was an English or Irish regiment. I do know that he fought in the Boer War and remained in South Africa for the remainder of his life. He married Susannah Louisa De Burgh (widow) in Port Elizabeth, SA (do not have date). He died 25 Oct 1929 in Higher Cross St., Mossel Bay, Cape Province, SA. At one point in time (1925, I think), he was the oldest living British soldier in South Africa.

If anyone can advise me how to get a copy of his military record given the scant info I have about his service, I would be greatly appreciative. Also, I would love to know how to get a copy of his death record, if there is anyone who knows anything about South African vital records. Thanks in advance!!!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by carli
    I am looking for more info on my 3rd grand-great Uncle James Hannon McCourt. He was born in Ireland ca 1847-1849 and joined the British Army.
    Best place to begin looking for Army records is The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. They have a web-site with lots of reserch guides, including several on the army. Look at this:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ndex.asp?j=1#b
    and click on the links prefixed 'British Army' - try 'useful sources', 'discharge papers' and 'pension records'.

Edit - since originally posting this thread, the Army records in WO97 up to 1913 are now available on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast'. This site will eventually also make available militia returns in WO96.

continued.....

Geoffers

part 2.....

Have you tried census returns in case your chap was in barracks in Britain when the census was taken? Or do they help to indicate a date after which he joined the Army?

I do not know what regiment......I do know that he fought in the Boer War....He married Susannah Louisa De Burgh (widow) in Port Elizabeth, SA (do not have date).
    I'm hoping that he married and had children whilst serving in the army. If this is the case, try going to 1837online (a pay-per-view site) and searching the Regimental Returns of births 1761-1924 (also check the supplement) and Army Chaplains' returns 1796-1880 and Army births indices 1881-1965; and Army Chaplains' Returns of Marriage 1796-1880.

There are Regimental Returns of marriage 1761-1924, but these are not indexed and you have to know the regiment to request a search at the Family Records Centre (FRC) in London.

If you can locate a birth of a child in the index, you can apply for a copy of a certificate via the General Register Office
    A birth certifiacte of a child should include his regiment, rank and number which will help you (or someone looking for you) to locate his service record at TNA, Kew.

Geoffers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast