Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Reputation beyond repute

This relates to Kent not Surrey but the location doesn't really matter and this seems the logical place to put it.

I came across another IGI "I" batch. Batch I046896 contains a marriage of interest to me. It relates to William BLEEZE and Frances CHAPMAN allegedly married on 9 April 1826 at Wilmington in Kent.

Luckily the Wilmington parish registers are online making it easy to check.

As you will already have guessed there is no such marriage on 9 April. There is a marriage between this couple on 16 April.

Scurrying across to the banns register, we find as expected that banns were called on 26 March, 2 April and 9 April!

The adjacent marriage in the marriage register between Thomas SMITH and the slendidly named Fortune Honor ARMSTRONG took place on 2 April. The IGI shows it as 26 March.

Why on earth anyone would decide to extract marriages from the banns register is beyond me (the marriage register is perfectly legible).

Mythology

I will try and be charitable.
    Perhaps "I" stands for "Intent to marry".

(reverts to normal uncharitable mode)
    But as they've used the date of the first reading for the Lambeth ones, but the third reading for the Wilmington ones perhaps "I" is for "Inconsistent".
    Why on earth anyone would decide to extract marriages from the banns register is beyond me (the marriage register is perfectly legible).
    Quite. The same applies to the Lambeth marriage register, nice and clear, no reason not to use it.

OK then - "I" for "Imbeciles".

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Cases of missing marriages

I have two examples of the GRO mistakes, well more but these 2 for a start, my gg grandparents were married in their home village, I could not and have not found the reference in the indexing a case of snail mail going astray, so luck had it they did marry in their home village and I was able to get a copy. The other was my g grandfather again I found the marriage in the home village so knew my g grandmother full name and I was able to find it that way. Once Freebmd had typed up my grandfathers I was able to find it. It had been put under Timpkins instead of Simpkins.
    The only trouble is if it was Banns they didn't necessary marry in that Church. But please don't slag off LDS there may be a lot wrong but nothing is perfect and no matter how much trouble it is to find a certificate it is a lead. Something they started first and for what ever reason they started I will be forever greatful. You just have to try and sort them out yourselves. Anything that does not have a full date could mean that they don't have a marriage/birth date but someone thought the year was right. My gg grandparents married in 1841 in Bath, LDS have entered it as 1844 in their home village but that was the fault of the person giving the information, LDS are starting to correct these things now. I might add I don't belong to the church but my gg grandfathers brother did and went to Utah in 1850 his granddaughter helped in the Library in Salt lake city up to 1930 when she died doing just this sort of thing, but before computers how they would have loved to be able to find the information we can get so quickly now.

So I am forever greatful to who ever helps us find our past.

Irene

BOBROB

Default MARRIAGE OR NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Wendus View Post
    For ages I've been looking for a particular marriage, and at last found mention of it on the LDS website. The only source given for the information was a Batch number of I033463. Armed with the knowledge of the exact date of the marriage, I tried to find it in the England & Wales marriage index, but it doesn't appear to be there! Try as I might, I can't find it anywhere else, and so cannot get a reference number for the certificate.

I wonder if anyone out there can help?
    The marriage was between Emma Wright and Robert Dadd, and took place in Lambeth, Surrey, on 6th March 1859.

I'd be really grateful for any help or advice.

Many thanks.

Wendy
    Hi wendy if you put that number in the box at the bottom of the page on the IGS page and type Wright in the surname box it will show all persons named Wright if any that got married in that church there was an Emma Wright and Robert Dadd married on that day BUT BUT BUT DONT RELY ON THEM check on free bmd etc for both surnames having checked I can't find Emma Wright but I can find Emma Dadd Mar 1859 Blean 2a 713 I think but don't take my word for it. what I normally do is check both surnames only of vice visa good luck Bobrob

Pam101

BOBROB, that is such useful information. Wish I'd known about it a couple of months ago!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345