Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mythology

506 - 13 Mar George Botten & Emma Pay
    506 - 13 Mar William Moorhouse & Eliza Catchesides

that's the last of the ones that includes a marriage on 27 February, 6 March, or 13 March. We then get
    507 - 20 Feb William Rowe Mills & Mary Ann Sertin
    507 - ?? Presumably one entry blank

508 - no matches on FreeBMD, presumably blank page

509 - Sarah Fox, James Haslett, Samuel Mundy, Grace Olive Robinson
    (presumably different register, none of the above on IGI)

(Cuppa time )

Wendus

Thumbs up Wahey! A result!

I take back everything I said about the LDS people in Salt Lake City! I e-mailed them this evening, explained the story, and asking about the Batch number. Within just a few minutes, I received a reply, giving the relevant film number and the fact that it related to St Mary's Church, Lambeth!

I couldn't believe it! I now have information enough to book a reader at my local Family History Centre and look at the film. Seems it's the Parish records from St Mary's, and includes: Marriages 1858-1860.

Still doesn't explain why the marriage doesn't show up in any other database, but it's a big step in the right direction. Thank you LDS people!

For interest, the LDS film number is 1041668, and the relevant FHL British Film number is 1041653.

Many thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

Wendy

Mythology

OK - that's that sorted so I'll scratch the rest of my investigating and theorising!

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Wendus
    it related to St Mary's Church, Lambeth
    Congratulations on getting an answer out of them.

The nest question is why on earth don't they show that information in the record!

BTW perhaps if you let Hugh Wallis know, he'll update his website
    Last edited by Guest; 26-03-2008 at 9:11 AM.

Mutley

I'm with you Myth,
    But I would still like to know where the Batch number of I033463 comes into the story
    Mutley

Wendus

Default Myth, you're a star!

Myth, I really appreciate all the work you've been doing, and only wish I had your brain-power!

However, you said "...sorted...", but it isn't yet, it's only one step forward. Will I still be able to get a marriage certificate if I don't have the necessary references? And I'm still curious to know why the marriage isn't included in any other database!

I am, of course, assuming that the marriage itself did take place, because in later years Emma is described as Robert's widow, but if the Parish records refer only to the Banns, then perhaps the marriage never happened. Although this theory is probably wrong, it could explain why we can't find any reference to it anywhere else.

I'll let you know what I find at the Family History Centre. Meanwhile, please accept my very grateful thanks for all your hard work on my behalf, you really are a star.

Wendy

Reputation beyond repute

I'll let you know what I find at the Family History Centre
    I hope you'll let us know what you find out. It will be interesting to know what was going on here.

If you get stuck, feel free to drop me a line. St Mary Lambeth is beginning to feel like an old friend. But I'm not sure if it's the sort of friend I really want .

Trivia time: The churchyard of St Mary's contains the graves of several famous people including William Bligh (of the Bounty), a number of Archbishops of Canterbury and the Tradescant family of pioneering horticulturists. The church building is now occupied by the National Museum of Garden History.

Elly

Default Found a marriage ... but I haven't!

Will I still be able to get a marriage certificate if I don't have the necessary references?
    If the marriage did actually take place at St Mary Lambeth and yet cannot be found in the GRO index, you should be able to get a certificate from Lambeth Register Office, especially it you tell them the difficulty you have had. Many London offices will no longer supply certs for FH purposes, but Lambeth are helpful in this respect.

Register Office
    Lambeth Town Hall
    London
    SW2 1RW
    Phone: 020 7926 9420
    [email protected]

Peter, IMHO the gardening museum sits uncomfortably in the church, as does the cafe in the graveyard, and it does no service to the tombs of Blyth and Tradescant. It's a crying shame.

Elly

Mythology

Simple things first ...

"Many London offices will no longer supply certs for FH purposes, but Lambeth are helpful in this respect."

Thank you, Elly - that's worth knowing.

(I confess that I've basically given up with London Register Offices due to their generally unhelpful, unco-operative and sometimes downright rude attitude - it's nice to know that there's at least one exception, and I may need them!)

Mythology

Now, back to you, Wendus ...

"However, you said "...sorted...", but it isn't yet, it's only one step forward. Will I still be able to get a marriage certificate if I don't have the necessary references? And I'm still curious to know why the marriage isn't included in any other database!"

OK, the certificate question has been answered. Furthermore, if it is indeed in the St Mary Lambeth register, we have the exact date so it shouldn't take too much effort to find it. Either tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday I will be at the London Metropolitan Archives, so I will take a look.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast