Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mutley

Question London Newspapers

I have just received a death certificate. He died in Southwark Infirmary in E. Dulwich Grove, Camberwell on 11 July 1910.
    The Informant box has:
    Certificate received from G.P. Wyatt, Coroner Surrey and London.
    Inquest held 12 July 1910.

I have search the forum and seemingly inquest information is best found in Newspapers. Does anyone know which newspaper would be the likely one and can I access it online or is it a case of going to the British Library?

I also believe after looking at the Hospital site and Metropolitan Archives that the hospital records are subject to the 100 year rule. Is that right?

Thanks in advance
    Mutley

Jane M

Hi Mutley,
    I think you're right on all counts. Coroners reports & hospital records are subject to the 100 year closure. The British Library Newspaper collections held at Colindale North London (not the BL itself) requires a personal visit to view any possible articles but their holdings can be checked on their website https://www.bl.uk/collections/newspapers.html
    What was the name of this person & how did they die? Was it an accident? I can look at the Times index for you.
    If you can establish where the incident took place you can Google for the local newspaper to see if they have an archive going back that far.

Jane

Mutley

Thanks Jane,
    I have tried that link and googling for hours but I still cannot find for sure which newspaper covered the area.
    It was a rather nasty suicide and I think, probably, while in the Infirmary. I am loathe to give out the full details as I know these posts go out on the web. I will private message. Any information would be gratefully received. I think I am still in shock and cannot quite get my head around it.

Mutley
    Last edited by Mutley; 18-11-2006 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Change of mind

Colin Moretti

You could try emailing the Southwark Local Studies:
    https://www.southwark.gov.uk/Discover...tudiesLibrary/
    Since you know the date they might well look at the local paper for you. I've found that most local studies libraries are very helpful with quick look-ups

Good luck

Colin

Mutley

Thanks Colin,

An email is on it's way, let's hope they reply with some information.

Mutley

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley
    I have search the forum and seemingly inquest information is best found in Newspapers. Does anyone know which newspaper would be the likely one and can I access it online or is it a case of going to the British Library?
    Colindale Library will sell copies of newspapers on microfilm which would save a journey. But you would need to know roughly when the inquest/death was reported as well as the newspaper.

Geoffers

Jane M

Sorry Geoffers but no sign of it being reported in the Times newspaper,

Jane

Mutley

Thanks for trying.
    I think, knowing my lot, it would more likely be the
    The Sun or the News of the World (Sunday Editions)

Mutley

Jane M

Sorry Mutley, I called you Geoffers in my last post

I would think that the local rather than the national newspapers would have reported on the inquest so check the British Library index for newspapers of Camberwell of that period. If you're planning a UK trip you can check-out the library yourself (it's fascinating!)
    Good luck,

Jane

Mutley

That's OK Jane, I understood the error.
    Thanks so much for your interest. I also found out that Southwark Infirmary was originally St Saviour's Workhouse and is now Dulwich Hospital. They have a large archive section that can be visited.
    Unfortunately, I will not be back to the UK for a few years so I will have to consider a professional researcher's services unless I see a thread for someone else who decides to look up the workhouse.
    Thanks again.
    Mutley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast