Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mary Ann Iland

Omega

Hi Christine...You are entitled to your two bobs worth. Mum would have rung Registry of BDM and asked them and she definately went to 110 George. I also think that an email to alert false info being given is warrented if only so the person needing it gets the proper training. If he is doing the wrong thing without knowing it he wont learn unless he is told the correct thing. My two bobs worth. She probably only ordered as you say but that was after she was given the wrong information. She wasn't sure enough of what she was doing to argue back and if the person serving her had the right training he would have been able to help her understand. I know training within the government at all levels is a big task but that is up to the department heads to make sure of. Our local council is the same you go in and ask one person a question and get one answer then another person goes in and asks the same question of a different person at same desk and you get a different answer all together. I'll get of the box now.

Deirdre

Omega

The lady at the BDM was more than helpful and also looked to see if she could find the death record of my biggest brickwall my grandfather Gilbert Roy Campbell but unfortunately the search was unsuccessful. Well at least I know he didn't die in Queensland now. I dispare of my mum ever finding out what happened to him.

Thanks for all your help, Doug and Christine will let you know when I have certificates. I filled out the forms and mailed them to mum so all she has to do is go in. I've sent her a copy of the email as well.

Deirdre waiting again...ho, hum.

Omega

Hi guys, The marriage certificate that mum got of my grandparents gave me no more info than I alread had but once again Mary Ann was entered as Hand.

So now we have Sland on marriage certificate Hand on her death record and Hand on Nana and Roy's marriage certificate. She or whoever is doing the longhand writing must do the "I" with a flourish so it is miss read all the time.

Oh, well I am getting good at this waiting thing - I didn't feel like throwing the phone or bashing the computer this time. from - to this - maybe this but mostly just stay

Deirdre

Melissa Jones

Hi Deirdre,

I find that often "S" can be misread as "I" - I have seen many certificates like this.

Melissa

Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Jones
    Hi Deirdre,

I find that often "S" can be misread as "I" - I have seen many certificates like this.

Melissa
    Hi Melissa

I have found to date 6 different spellings for Iland. Does not make my job any easier. But hey, who said it was easy.

Deirdre

GeoffD

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    I have found to date 6 different spellings for Iland.
    Then there's the faint possibility that the name was actually IRELAND. (Says Geoff, who is considering trying to find out more about Grandfather Hall's first marriage to a Ms IRELAND, possibly from Taringa.)

Omega

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    Then there's the faint possibility that the name was actually IRELAND. (Says Geoff, who is considering trying to find out more about Grandfather Hall's first marriage to a Ms IRELAND, possibly from Taringa.)
    Sorry Geoff wish it was so I could help you out but my friend Margaret who's grandmother was Mary Ann's sister was deffinately ILAND it's just that nobody could get Mary Ann's name right obviously since her birth. Both Margaret (my friend's grandmother) and Julia have popped up with the correct spelling, so have her mother and father. Just poor Mary Ann no one wants to spell right. They were Gympie people before moving to Brisbane and Mary Ann married James Watson Campbell (who I can't find a birth for either) and when they moved to Brisbane they lived in a house called "Braemar" at Bowen Hills. So for both of us - back to the research

Deirdre

Kymbo

Hi Deirdre,

Just browsing around & was wondering if GILBERT ROY CAMPBELL changed his name due to his issues with QLD state rail (refer to previous posts July2006).

As I found the following death in NSW BDM, remembering sometimes the death informant's details can be VERY incorrect. Process of elimination needed !!

Roy GILBERT (father James, Mother Fanny) died 1950 @ Newcastle

Perhaps he worked for NSW railways & changed his name slightly ??

Wonder of there is a NSW Railways previous employees data base somewhere.

Kymbo

Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbo
    Hi Deirdre,

Just browsing around & was wondering if GILBERT ROY CAMPBELL changed his name due to his issues with QLD state rail (refer to previous posts July2006).

As I found the following death in NSW BDM, remembering sometimes the death informant's details can be VERY incorrect. Process of elimination needed !!

Roy GILBERT (father James, Mother Fanny) died 1950 @ Newcastle

Perhaps he worked for NSW railways & changed his name slightly ??

Wonder of there is a NSW Railways previous employees data base somewhere.

Kymbo
    Kymbo, GOOD THOUGHT I was wondering about this for a while government employees back then had to be squeaky clean (polititians excluded of course) and his skills would lead him back to railways so name change would be on the cards. What do I do and where do I go to get information on NSW Government Railways Employee Records? Thank you for pointing me in this direction. His father was James but mother Mary Ann so this could be a red herring of course. But why would they get her Christian name right they can't get her surname (maiden) right.

Deirdre

Omega

Kymbo I'll start a new thread for this. Deirdre

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast