JeanetteH

Question A soldier in 1871

This is all to do with a brother of an ancestor, the last of whom I found in the 1871 census at home with his parents in Wareside, Hertfordshire.

At that time he was 23 years old and a "soldier". I haven't found any trace of him after that in England or Wales to date and I'm curious to know what happened to him. I haven't found a death entry in the GRO index. I've wondered if he emmigrated etc.

Could it be possible to trace his military career with such scant information? What specifically could I search on in the online catalogue of the National Archives?

Would anyone have any suggestions?

Jeanette

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I suggest that you give his name, age, birthplace, and see if someone can find him. There are some cluey people on this forum! More than likely only his initials appear on the census - this was normal practice for barracks and institutions.

Have you found his name at all for possible marriage/s? this could help place him somewhere. Not much help if he has a common name.
    ChristineR

JeanetteH

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR
    I suggest that you give his name, age, birthplace, and see if someone can find him. There are some cluey people on this forum!
    Thanks for your suggestions Christine --

His name: Arthur England WOODCOCK (b. 1848 Wareside, Herts.)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR
    More than likely only his initials appear on the census - this was normal practice for barracks and institutions.
    That's something I hadn't thought of!

Jeanette

Geoffers

It is possible to trace him, army records are held by TNA at Kew. See their research guides

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...desindex.asp#b

(Look at the links prefixed 'British Army')

For the period you mention, you will probably need to find out a regiment to trace anything. I would suggest that you begin by trying to see if he married whilst in the army. Search the indices available on the pay-per-view site 1837online specifically the army marriages from 1881 onwards (available under military) and also the GRO chaplains marriages (available under births, marriages and deaths, then 'overseas'). If you can trace a marriage for him then you might find births of children. One of the certificates should record at least his rank and regiment.

Geoffers
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2007 at 7:12 PM.

JeanetteH

Thanks for directing me to the right place at the TNA site and to where I can find those particular army marriages etc. Geoffers.

It also looks as if they have army deaths as well.

This certainly gives me something to follow up!

Jeanette