Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    clive_t

Default Trying to find ancestors' names from WW1 records

Good evening everybody

I've just stumbled across this site by accident - so I thought I would chance my arm and join up.

I have recently embarked on researching my family history - mostly anecdotal evidence so far, but one of the things that interests me is the story that my maternal grandfather lost 2 of his brothers in WW1 - he of course survived. I'm trying to find out a bit more about where and when they died. I am told their names feature on a war memorial in Bristol, but that's about it.

I've done numerous searches of the internet, using 'Roll of Honour' and 'Bristol' as part of the search, without any luck. Can anyone suggest any specific sites to search, or organisations to enquire with?

I did try the National Archives site, but no matches for the specific names.

Sorry if this is sounds a silly question, but I'm still quite new to all this family research stuff!

Thanks in advance

Clive

Jo Simpsons

Starting to feel at home

Smile Ancestors WW1

The site that Jo Simpson has given you is excellent, only last night I found a relative of mine that died in action in 1917 in France. Well worth a look.

David Wilkins Auckland NZ

Linda Bailey

Smile

Hi
    A site I only came across yesterday is:

https://www.wargraves.org.uk/

I've volunteered to go to the local church and photograph the graves there to add to the collection that they are building up.

Which name are you looking for and I could check the War Memorial near me in Bristol but I suspect there are a great many throughout the city.

Linda

clive_t

Thanks all for your replies.

I have tried the sites mentioned, sadly no matches on either. I wonder if they are 2 of the many with 'no known grave'?

Linda, the surname is Badman, the first names are either Ernest, Alfred or William. (I understand that 2 of them died, the third emigrated to Canada). My sister tells me that she thinks she remembers seeing the names on the city centre memorial? It's a long time since I lived there, so I'm having difficulty picturing it in my mind! If it's difficult for you to get there then please don't worry about it - many thanks for your kind offer though!

Cheers

Clive

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by clive_t
    I have tried the sites mentioned, sadly no matches on either. I wonder if they are 2 of the many with 'no known grave'?...the surname is Badman, the first names are either Ernest, Alfred or William. (I understand that 2 of them died, the third emigrated to Canada).
    Even if the brothers died and there is no known grave, I would have thought that they would appear on one of the memorials to be found searching the CWGC website. Could the two who survived have been step-brothers of the chap who survived (i.e. they had a different surname???)

I suggest that you check for their deaths on the minor indices kept with the main GRO index. These have been copied onto fiches and can be seen at many Local Studies' Libraries/County Records Offices around the UK.

The index you need to check depends on the service and whether or not they were commissioned; those for WW1 war deaths are:

Index to Naval War Deaths 1914-1921
    Index to Army Other Ranks' War Deaths 1914-1921
    Index to Army Officers' War Deaths 1914-1921

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Have you tried the Medal Roll, if they served in WW1 they would have recieved medals.

Try documents online.

Keith

clive_t

Hello Geoffers

I believe they were all brothers - they all appear in the 1901 census with the same surnam and relationship to the head of the household - 'son'. I'll try the fiche searches as you suggest, many thanks for your reply.

Hello Keith,

I've looked at the medal roll page, and now that I know (well I think I know...) that none of my grandfather's brothers had middle names, the list of possible candidates has shortened considerably. So I'll maybe take a punt and try and order a copy. Strangely enough, my grandfather (Edward Walter Badman) does not appear anywhere in the medal roll, even though I know for a fact he had medals from WW1. Thanks also, though, for your reply.

Regards

Clive

clive_t

Default FAO Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Bailey
    Hi
    A site I only came across yesterday is:

https://www.wargraves.org.uk/

I've volunteered to go to the local church and photograph the graves there to add to the collection that they are building up.

Which name are you looking for and I could check the War Memorial near me in Bristol but I suspect there are a great many throughout the city.

Linda
    Linda, I hope I'm not too late - after a discussion with my sister who came to visit yesterday, it seems it wasn't a Bristol war memorial after all - she now thinks it's at Weston-Super-Mare! I'm very sorry if I've wasted your time...

Clive

Linda Bailey

Smile

No I've had visitors all weekend so I've been too busy to go looking (or log on), I will bear it in mind, and see if I can convince the family we would love a day walking on the beach sometime in the near future and we could see if we could find it.
    Linda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast