Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Sisters of mercy

Does anyone know anything of the Convent in Wolverhampton

Paul Marshall

I found this information on the web, not sure if this is the convent you mean

St Joseph's Convent
    24 Sandy Lane
    Wolverhampton
    West Midlands
    WV6 9EB

I think there is another one in Penfields, and there were others in the late 19th c/early 1900's
    Last edited by Paul Marshall; 23-09-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Colin Moretti

I have a history of the Sisters of Mercy - Trees of Mercy, Sisters of Mercy of Great Britain from 1839, it contains a couple of paragraphs on the history of the order in Wolverhampton, is that what you want? Contact me privately if you do and I'll transcribe the relevant bit for you.

If it's not the information you're seeking, give us a better idea, we may be able to give some more relevant suggestions.

Colin
    Last edited by Colin Moretti; 23-09-2006 at 9:48 PM. Reason: addition

ChrisKelly

Quote Originally Posted by perseus
    In addition to the Sisters of Mercy already mentioned, it might be of interest to note that in Penn Fields there is also a convent/monastery belonging to the order of Carmelite nuns, see here: https://www.carmelnuns.org.uk/wolverhampton.htm. As a child I went to the "convent preparatory" primary school that is/was directly opposite the Carmelite convent. Although the two were linked, I believe that the nun who was head mistress of the primary school belonged to the Sisters of Mercy. However, I could be wrong - it's a long time ago!

There is also some historical information about convents and schools in Wolverhampton here:
    https://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac....olics/jq08.htm

Mutley

Unless you are into gaming I don't advise you try to google for Sisters of Mercy. It will be a different tree to the family forum!!!
    https://www.sistersofmercy-onlinegaming.com/news.php
    Last edited by Mutley; 27-09-2006 at 1:25 AM. Reason: wrong link

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default sisters of mercy

Hi Mutley
    got heaps of stuff i didn't want!!!!!
    however did find some info on 'real' sisters of mercy'
    Thanks

Mutley

I can believe it, My imagination is running riot.

Shaz01

Quote Originally Posted by perseus View Post
    I used to go to Our Lady of Mercy Grammar school Convent in Wolverhamptom. Think it closed in 1980.

Starting to feel at home

In the book you talk about is there an indication of how many convents belonging to the Sisters of Mercy there might have been in England around 1930-40?
    I am trying to place a photo of a nun taken outside a convent. The habit I'm assuming is the Sisters of Mercy and the word velox is stamped on the back several times suggesting a 1940-50s snap.
    Family lore has it she was a Mother Superior at an English convent. Is a Mother Superiors habit any different?
    Her name Elizabeth Kearns/Kerins/Kearins born 1865 Tralee, County Kerry.
    Cannot find a death but features in 1881 census with her family in Gaia Lane,Lichfield as 15 year old pupil/teacher.
    After that not in 1891 census with father William who is then in Woolrich,London.
    Possibility of 1911 census St.Anns Orphanage,Kent where an Elizabeth Kearns is a teacher and listed from Tralee. However at 38 this means her birth date would be 1873.
    Perhaps she went back to Ireland at some stage and is not featuring.
    Last edited by triggerandme; 24-06-2016 at 2:11 AM. Reason: wrong photo

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi triggerandme,

The 1939 Register has an Elizabeth KEARNS resident in Worthing, Sussex. Her date of birth is 20th July 1865.

The transcription gives her occupation as Sister of Nursery but the original suggests otherwise!

I can't give you all the details due to Findmypast's terms and conditions. If you have a subscription, all well and good. If not, you can search for 'St Mary's Residential Care Home' and you will see an image of the building which is still occupied by the Sisters of Mercy.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast