Wirral

Default Now this is really spooky!

Today I have been looking for my husband's family of APPLETONs in Liverpool. I had the references from the IGI & 3 children were baptised at Hope St Unitarian Church, so I got out the relevant film & checked out the refs. There they were, so I took down the details & then thought "I'll see if any of the family were buried there" as I don't know where any of that line are buried. Usually there are numerous reels for each church (there are a couple of drawersfull for St Peter's, the Parish Church of Liverpool at that time), but in this case there were half a dozen non-conformist churches on the same reel & the one I wanted was at the end. Now usually there is a marker page at the end of each section saying "End of ...", then a blank, then "Start of ...". But on this reel there isn't so you just have to fast forward or reverse & stop every so often to see where you are up to. Which i did.

Wirral

contd
    While flicking through the film a name caught my eye, "Forfar". Well, my dad was born there so I thought "I'll take down the details":
    [Born] June 15 Mary daughter of James HABENTON militia man, & Margaret his wife, from Brechin in Forfar, baptized June 17 1813.

Nothing very extraordinary there, except James HABENTON is probably a brother or very close cousin of my g,g,g-grandmother, Elizabeth b.1792 in Tannadice by Forfar, Angus. All of my Dad's family lived & died in Scotland until Dad came to Liverpool after the 2nd WW. He died a year ago. I think he must have jogged my arm to stop me at that page!

Reputation beyond repute

Serendipity.

I often think, without much evidence to back it up, that people who search censuses using national indexes (like you-know-who's product) miss out on this sort of thing compared to people who search the traditional way using microfilm (or CD).

AH but if you want to you can search you-know-who's census pages one at a time, district by district and I have been known to do that. I ALWAYS look at the image of the page just incase they have family living next door. and I always find someone who isn't supposed to be there.

I am like a good wine, I don't travel well, so I am very glad of my subscription to YKW - like all things it should be used properly.

As I tell the beginners when I do a workshop, remember that an index is just that, an indication of where to look for the full information.
    Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Davran

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral
    Today I have been looking for my husband's family of APPLETONs
    Hi Wirral,

You don't happen to have a George Hubert APPLETON and a Mary APPLETON in your husband's family, do you? They appear in my grandparents' birthday book and I have no idea who they are. They don't seem to be family and I don't know year of birth or where they were born. George's birthday is 28 June and Mary's 19 August. They are two of the five remaining names I can't connect to the family - all the rest I've managed to ferret out.

Davran

Wirral

Hi Davran

Sorry, but no George Hubert APPLETON in our tree. Cant' find anybody with that name anywhere. Could the name in the address be Herbert, rather than Hubert? There are a number of George Herbert APPLETONs on freeBMD, although none are ours.

Davran

Hi Wirral

No, in the book it's definitely Hubert, but that doesn't mean a lot - my grandfather's spelling wasn't all that accurate. Never mind, it was worth a try. Thanks, anyway.