Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Miss Daisy

Default Mack Family of Cross Keys Inn Brampton

Hello I'm new to this forum,hope someone will be able to help. I'm trying to find out how far back my family goes as licencees of the Cross Keys public house in Brampton.My grt.grt Grandfather James Mack was publican in 1841 census . However my family always said that the Mack's were there from the 1700's. I know that the Coltishall brewery auctioned the Pub in the 1700's.
    The pub is still there but is a private residence now. I remember spending summer holidays there as my grandparents lived there until they died, my aunt who still lives in Brampton lived there until the late 1950's. Any help would be appreciated.I started researching the family tree and then got facinated by the Cross Keys itself.

Reputation beyond repute

Quarter Session records usually, if available. Norfolk Record Office would seem to be the place and they offer a research service.

https://archives.norfolk.gov.uk/docum...ch_Service.pdf

Geoffers

As well as Peter's suggestion,

The Norfolk Pubs site
    https://www.norfolkpubs.co.uk/index.htm
    indicates that copyhold was to the manor of Buxton. It may be worth trying the records for the manors of Buxton to see if there is mention of the family in any copyhold transfer. There were four manors in Buxton, the principal one for which most records survive is Buxton Levishaw. The other manors are listed on the Buxton web-site https://www.buxton-norfolk.co.uk/
    click on the 'Village History tab' and then follow the link to manors.

The family may have left wills which would help you. Try searhing the index to probate records on NROCAT - starting at the NRO web-site
    https://archives.norfolk.gov.uk/nroindex.htm
    scroll down to 'Summary of collections' and click on the NROCAT link.
    continued.....

Geoffers

part 2....

Your James MACK mentioned on the Norfolk pubs site appears to have been baptised:

Brampton (ATs)
    7 Mar 1802, James MACK son of William and Ann (late WRIGHT, widow) - born 1 Mar 1802

William WRIGHT, sm otp mar Ann WRIGHT, wid, otp at Brampton after banns on 16 Nov 1801, wit: John HUDSON, John DIX.

Ann WRIGHT - widow may have been the Ann HUDSON who had married John WRIGHT at Brampton on 10 Oct 1791.

Brampton is one of three small parishes (the others being Oxnead and Burgh-next-Aylsham) between Aylsham (to the north) and Buxton (to the south). You'll find quite a lot of movement of local families between these places. But the William MACK above may have been:

Brampton (ATs)
    Born 18 May 1766, William MACK son of William & Elisabeth (bapt eodem)

Geoffers

Geoffers

Further to the above, NROCAT shows that quite a few manorial records survive for Brampton, using the search engine enter 'Brampton with the members' and then search, you should get a list of quite a few documents which may be of use in reasearching your family and its association with the parish and pub.

Gaining access to them from where you live may be another problem, unless they have beenc opied onto film and are available at one of the mormon (LDS) record centres.

Geoffers

Miss Daisy

Thumbs up

Thanks you guy's I will try your suggestions.
    Ann Wright was married to John Wright and had 2 children to him.
    My Aunt still lives in Brampton, but trying to get her to talk about the family is difficult, especially as she doesn't like using the telephone but at 86 I'm sure she knows more than she is saying. Every time I speak with her I learn a little more.
    Hopefully when I'm back in the U.K at Christmas I may be able to get more out of her, I'm sure she will have documents that will be usefull to me.
    Thanks again

miss-smith

Hi Miss Daisy
    I am, also, a descendant of James Mack.
    His daughter Elizabeth is my second great grandmother.
    She was born in Dec 1837 and married Thomas Hunt on 19 Nov 1856 (In The Parish Church, Swanton Abbot)
    Although it is a few years since you posted your message, hope we can get in touch!
    Kind regards
    Leigh

Miss Daisy

Smile

I have sent you a p.m

Tulipa

Hi, We are tracing the Mack family - our branch were in Buxton, Norfolk - many of them in the churchyard there. The family later moved to Bradford after the death of Robert Mack. We went to see your aunt in Brampton (sent there by Mr Spinks) and think we may be distantly related - helped by a history of red hair in the family!! We spent nearly a week in the area checking out churchyards ( good weather thankfully) and made notes of all the Macks that we could find so some may be of use to you.
    Best wishes Pat

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tulipa
    Hi, We are tracing the Mack family - our branch were in Buxton, Norfolk
    Which MACK family are you related to? The earliest reference to MACK in Buxton recrods is 1757 with the marriage of Robert MACK and Ann GREEN

The family later moved to Bradford after the death of Robert Mack
    Which Robert?

Robert MACK, aged 56, buried 1795
    Robert MACK, aged 68, buried 1842
    Robert Dunning MACK, aged 30, buried 1854
    Robert MACK, aged 57, buried 1857

PS. I'm not related to the family, but have a collection of records for Buxton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast