Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stu H

Default Scanning Microfiche

Can anybody recommend a suitable scanner for scanning microfiche? the eventual aim is to convert fiche for easy viewing and access on a PC. I see Canon do an MS300 Microfilm/fiche scanner, but will this do the business with typical "Parish Register" type microfiche? If it will produce reasonably good results does anyone have an idea of its cost?

If you google for the MS300, you will see that it is claimed to be the best one for this type of work. At a cost of $6,452.00

Neil

Reputation beyond repute

Sorry I haven't got an answer, I'm just grumbling.

If a 3200 dpi (optical) counts as a "typical" consumer scanner, it doesn't deliver the goods!

Next, I'm going to experiment with using the digital camera.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    Next, I'm going to experiment with using the digital camera.
    I find digital cameras work well with fiches as an aid to interpretation. I use them for the entries where the fiche is not clear/out of focus. Using computer software I find that by changing between positive and negative images, and viewing the image in different colours (sepia is quite good) helps to pick out detail which I know exists on the original document. The fiches I purchase are copyright, so I delete the images afterwards, both from my hard drive and from the camera's memory.

Geoffers

Stu H

Default using a digital camera

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    I find digital cameras work well with fiches as an aid to interpretation. I use them for the entries where the fiche is not clear/out of focus. Using computer software I find that by changing between positive and negative images, and viewing the image in different colours (sepia is quite good) helps to pick out detail which I know exists on the original document. The fiches I purchase are copyright, so I delete the images afterwards, both from my hard drive and from the camera's memory.

Geoffers
    Geoffers; So to do this, you take a digital pic of the fiche viewer screen? - Then manipulate the resulting image on the PC?

Reputation beyond repute

Taking pictures directly from the screen of a fiche viewer is pretty successful providing you know how to use the camera. I find it's faster than scribbling notes and circumvents problems with my illegible handwriting.

My next experiment (and what I meant to say in my earlier message) is photographing the fiche itself. As soon as I can lay my hands on some glass slide mounts, I'll be having a go.

Rod Neep

Allow me to tell you the very best way to get results, without a lot of expensive equipment.

Find access to a fiche printer. Print to A4 paper
    Scan the print on your bog standard home flatbed scanner.

The end result is as perfect as it can get, and is better than expensive microfiche scanners.

Rod

PS. it is possible to purchase old Canon fiche printers for about 200.00 or less. (But they are big lumps)

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Stu H
    Geoffers; So to do this, you take a digital pic of the fiche viewer screen? - Then manipulate the resulting image on the PC?
    Yep, that's the way I do it, the back lighting of the fiches from the viewer means that I can take photos in almost total darkness, without using a flash.

Geoffers

Alick Lavers

Help please? As an OPC, I am finding that searching fiches with my old microfiche reader is very tiring work.

I have just found this thread and I am full of hope... Microfiche printer, you say - does it print from a microfiche film (ie, some 60 sheets) or from a microfiche reader (ie, only a part of a sheet)?

Who would have such an item? Devon Records Office, perhaps? Or Devon Family History Society? Or even the local library?

Guy Etchells

If you wish to photograph microfiche using a microfiche viewer the best way is to remove the screen of the viewer and project the image onto a white wall/door/screen and photograph that.
    This avoids the pattern made by the microfiche bulb.
    Cheers
    Guy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast