Tony Laverton

Default Rev.Nicholas Leverton of St Eval 1610-1660

I am reseaching the above whose life has been documented by his friend and colleague rev. Charles Morton. I have the origonal written by Morton and have had it transcribed. It is a fascinating contemporaneous account of this man from his birth in St Eval, to Oxford Univ., his ordination, adventures in the Carribean,return to England, Minister of St. Tudy and his eventual death in Surinam. There are huge gaps in my research and even bigger gaps in my knowledge of 17th cent. Cornwall. I am not a historian but will now begin the gradual process of discovery.

If anyone has any information which could help me I would appreciate it. I want to begin by learning about St Eval and what life might have been like at the beginning of the 17th Cent.

If someone would voluntarily like to share this task with me I should like to hear from you.Thank you.

MarkJ

You may like to also look into the connection between the Leverton family and HMS Bounty.
    Matthew Quintal was one of the main mutineers, his mother was Sarah Leverton, daughter of James Leverton. A little later than Nicholas I agree, but still a very interesting connection. The Leverton family to which Sarah belonged was from St Eval.

I must admit I was unaware of Nicholas - I have a very small link to the Leverton family myself, which is why I became aware of Matthew Quintal.

Regards,
    Mark

Tony Laverton

Default Nicholas Leverton.

Scottie, I am trying to trace NL's oldest son Gershom b 1645/6 d 1660/1. He was a surgeon (seems very young) and died at Plymouth of fever contracted from Dutch POWs.
    Any ideas.

Also NL was ordained at Exeter in 1632 and I need records of this.

Thanks Tony

Tony Laverton

Default Nicholas Leverton

Scottie. Sorry to load you with questions, they will lessen as I start to get the hang of this!! NL was born in St. Eval and "went to the country schools" (Calamy) until he went to Exeter College, Oxford. Can you give me any insight in a generic sense, into his possible education and life before he left for Oxford. Referrals to websites, books, contacts etc so I can build up a picture of his childhood.Tony

Scottie

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Laverton
    Can you give me any insight in a generic sense, into his possible education and life before he left for Oxford. Referrals to websites, books, contacts etc so I can build up a picture of his childhood.Tony
    Sorry Tony I only just saw this and yesterdays posts. I have no idea what schools there were in St Eval in 1610 I am afraid though I doubt there were any. As to the question on Gersham, all I can say is I do not have him born in St Eval. Does Stu not know where he was born? Ian Argall has all that there is on St Eval on his Genuki pages and I think I gave you the URL for that.

1610 is a long time ago and I have nothing on the parish this early apart from the Parish registers. It is my gut instinct that there were no schools though and the education was probably undertaken by the vicar or a tutor employed by the family. Nicholas's brothers appear to have stayed in the area. Sorry not to be more helpful but this is way too early for me at present

Tony Laverton

Funny how you come back to old ground! Re above, Nicholas is directly related to Sarah and I very much want to explore that line. Can you send me any useful info/links please. ie Quintal.
    Many thanks
    Tony Laverton-Bristol