davecosh

Default captain william cosh cromwells army

there appear two be 2 coshes involved in the war parlimentry house of lords journalvol 7 16 july 1645

massing berd & mr cosh with sam booth shall have a pass to france with 3 horses [why i can not find a reason and it would of been dangerous for parlimentry men to go there]

house of commons journal vol 7 20 january wm cosh captain this was his commision he also got married at st james palace chapel

a john cosh was exchanged for another prisoner

how can i find any more information about this family

william also fought in ireland and was given land there;

Geoffers

Start with what TNA holds on army records for this period:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...desindex.asp#b

As your chap was a Captain, hunt out E Peacock's book 'The Army List of Roundheads and Cavaliers'.

Warrants for commission are in State Papers SP44 at TNA
    Licences to pass beyond the seas are in E157 at TNA

Soldiers owed pay after 1649 were given certificates known as debentures. These comfirmed what was owed and they were secured on lands confiscated by Parliament. Soldiers often took the land secured and sold it to recoup their owed pay. Certificates of sale of Crown Lands are recorded in E121 but they are difficult to search.

A similar scheme existed for soldiers who served in Ireland. Many debentures were sold on - unfortunately the documents have not survived. Some records have survived but they take a lot of hunting to track them down.

You might try the record of the Committee for Indemity (set up to indemnify parliamentary soldiers from legal action) these are at TNA in SP24.

how can i find any more information about this family
    That to an extent, depends on what you want to find out.

Geoffers

davecosh

Default cosh cival war

thanks for the information have sent for the book you recomended

dave cosh

IvorCarr

You might get somewhere by checking on his travelling companion, presuming that is they were travelling as a party. Drayner Massingberd (later Sir) was the youngest son of Thomas of Bratoft Lincolnshire. He had an estate at Ormsby and later added another at Ingoldmell. He was an active parliamentarian serving on a number of committees in his native county and also serving as a captain in the cavalry regiment of Lord Willoughby of Parnham. He left a fairly extensive archive, now in Lincoln Record Office, but it seems to have little on the civil war and there is no mention of Cosh in the on-line catalogue.

Loves to help with queries

Soldiers owed pay after 1649 were given certificates known as debentures. These comfirmed what was owed and they were secured on lands confiscated by Parliament. Soldiers often took the land secured and sold it to recoup their owed pay. Certificates of sale of Crown Lands are recorded in E121 but they are difficult to search.

Geoffers[/QUOTE]
    I was very interested in what you wrote about debentures. I have traced my mother's family of Broadleys back through Clayton le Moors in Lancashire to Abraham and Ellen Broadley who had children baptized at Blackburn from 1654. They rented a messuage at Over Darwen. This was still in the possession of their son, John and is mentioned in his will of 1733. I have looked at a copy of the lease at Chester Record Office, but it dates from the renewal in 1723, when John's first grandson was born. Abraham at least was not born in the area and I can find no marriage for Abraham and Ellen, but it was the interregnum. The combined male christian names of the family are distinctive; Abraham, Jonas and John. I think the family came from Yorkshire. I have looked at Marston Moor and the battle of Preston without getting further. I have read several books and looked at rentals of the Saviles for the area of Dewsbury, where there are an Abraham and Ellen Broadley who coincidentally vanish from the parish registers (last child bap 1648), but this Abraham's father appears to be James who rented from the Saviles and Dewsbury Abraham's siblings have quite different names from Darwen Abraham's children. Suggestions for further research gratefully accepted, cicilysmith