Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arthur Lovell

Default Looking for John Henry Wrapson/Rapson

I am trying to find the baptism/birth of my GG Grandfather, John Henry Wrapson who, according to census returns for 1861, 1871 & 1881, was born in Fishborne, Sussex c1822. From his m cert he was a mariner which is probably why I cannot find him in 1851 or 1861.
    He married Emma Grinder in Portsmouth 7 Aug 1853 and his father was George Wrapson a Coal Meter (Merchant).
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Arthur Lovell

Thanks 'blue eyes' but am afraid no luck there. It's a brick wall at the moment, but I have just sent for the transcribed fishbourne parish registers on mini CD, so I am hopeful. Many thanks for your help.
    Arthur

Jane M

Did you find it Arthur? John Wrapson baptised 10/10/1813, New Fishbourne s/o George & Sarah. Only problem is that it's 9 years out.

This is the marriage of George & Sarah from the Sussex Marriage Index;

New Fishbourne, West Sussex, 7 Nov 1803:
    George WRAPSON, bach otp
    Sarah LEE, sp otp (B)

jane

Arthur Lovell

Hi Jane, Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the John Wrapson b Oct 1813, was buried in Feb 1814.

Arthur

Jane M

Oh pooh,

But you should have some success with the pr's. It's very likely that the George & Sarah are his parents so at least you have that information

jane

Arthur Lovell

Hi Jane, Thanks for the info anyway.
    Arthur

Arthur Lovell

Hi Jane, Got the mini disc yesterday with Parish records for Fishbourne but am afraid no luck, although did find additional sister to John Henry. So still looking for him.
    In 1841 and 1851 his father george was a mariner so maybe he was born at sea - clutching at straws now!
    Arthur

Jane M

Hi Arthur,
    I'm surprised you didn't find that baptism as the family seems to be firmly in Fishbourne. I would suspect that George, John's father, although classified as 'mariner' as he is in 1841 & 1851, would really translate as inland fisherman. If you look at the map, New Fishbourne is right at the top of an inlet off of The Solent & near Bosham Harbour & fishing was a prime occupation. So, the theory of John being born at sea just doesn't fit the bill. Even if he was, there would have been a baptism & therefore an entry in the church registers. I would think his mother stayed at home to keep the home fires burning
    There's a possibility they just forgot to baptise him.
    I noted from your posting that John's marriage certificate states that his father, George, was a Coal Merchant, that doesn't fit-in with this George Wrapson in Fishbourne who is a mariner on both 1841 & 1851 census...are you sure you're chasing the right John?
    George Wrapson died December Q 1855 at Westhampnett (Fishbourne is covered by this district) FreeBMD (2b 189)

1861 - Landport, Portsea

John H. Wrapson 39 Mariner RN b. Fishbourne
    Emma 33 b. Portsmouth, Hants
    Sarah Jane 6 ditto
    Eliza 4 ditto
    John 1 ditto

He & Emma seem to stay in Portsmouth in 1871 & 1881 although in 1871 he states he was born Portsmouth.</P>
    John Henry Wrapson died Portsea Mar Q 1887 (2b 327) age 65 which confirms his dob.

His wife, Emma died Mar Q 1905 age 76 Portsmouth (2b 407)

As he was a RN Seaman there's very likely going to be a service record for him at the National Archives at Kew. Unfortunately the Online records only cover those that joined between 1873-1923 so he's not listed.

Sorry this is not what you really need (his baptism) but it might give you food for thought. Just a thought on my behalf, have you thought of looking for a baptism later than his dob, perhaps near his wedding date in Portsmouth? I had one like that.

Jane

Arthur Lovell

Hi Jane, I really appreciate your time and effort on this, it also gives me a chance to run my thoughts by someone else.
    I think George was a mariner until sometime between 1851 census and John's Marriage in 1855, becoming a Coal Merchant between these dates (he would have been about 68 in 1851 so maybe ready to give up the life at sea). His d cert states a Coal Merchant, who died after about a year of being paralysed), but his wifes (Sarah) says widow of a mariner (their daughter Dorcas was the informant which ties them together).
    You have certainly given me food for thought, and I will try Portsmouth records as you suggest.
    I will let you know how I get on.

Arthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast