Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    blueyeshorlicks

Sorry to put in Url , didn't realize it was a no no!!

lsimnitt

My understanding is that the birth certificate for Emma and Thomas first child reads with the name SIMNITT in it, so it does not seem important to Emma, I would suppose, to hide who is the father of her child, although all of her children born to her and Thomas in England, appear to bear only the last name (surname) of the mother.

You can get a copy of the asylum record from Nottinghamshire by saying you are a descendent, although they say the information is confidential which you will obtain.

My understanding (this is actually Sharon Simnitt, the wife of Loren Simnitt, writing - I could not open an account because they require the email address be linked only to one purpose for the use on this website) so anyway, my husband is the youngest of the third generation of Thomas' children that were born in America, if I am correct. My husband was born in 1954 and his father was born in 1903. His father was born in 1876, the youngest of Emma and Thomas' children and he was born in Kansas, United States.

So, out of this last or the youngest of the children of Thomas, comes this story which my husband and all of his family understood to be that pertained to Thomas leaving quickly for America (around 1871).

Quote Originally Posted by blueyeshorlicks View Post
    Dear Loren, My great great great Grandfather was Thomas Bartholomew Simnitt. But this was through his first wife Selina (Soar) and their daughter Maria Overton (Simnitt), my grandmother's grandmother.
    The family story over the years, is that Thomas B. spent some time (after having his first family with Selina) 'in an Asylum'. Then disappeared!! He had met Emma Wright in Newark and my great grandfather Richard Overton, (his grandson)...told my Mother that Emma and he started an affair, which must have been going on when he was admitted to the Asylum?? Or perhaps this was the excuse given to the family when he 'disappeared'!
    We have a paper photo-copy of two photos taken in the US of a gathering of people. Here is an idea (from Rachel Simnitt) of who might be in this photo. Thomas Batholomew & Partners; Emma Wright Simnitt, Elizabeth Ann Simnitt
    Children: William Feargus, Selina Emmett, John Thomas, George Walter, Clara Anita, Emily, Rose Marie, Joseph Garry Valda (Joseph Garibaldi), Fergus Lincoln, Ernest Jonas, Oceanie, Linney M and (William) Amos “Ammy”.
    Selina wasn't divorced from him and we have a death report, that when he died, he was back in the Asylum in Newark????
    Could you tell me whether this story concurs with yours..and could you tell me more about his life in America?

lsimnitt

If you write to the asylum to get information, here is the case number:
    Inmate at Lunatic Asylum near Nottingham (reason: Dementia)
    from 26 January 1889 to 21 May 1889
    Sneinton, Nottinghamshire, England

Title: Thomas Simnitt,
    Author: Medical Superintendent's case book (ref: SO/HO/1/93/3),
    Publication information: Nottinghamshire Archives;

blueyeshorlicks

Quote Originally Posted by lsimnitt View Post
    My understanding is that the birth certificate for Emma and Thomas first child reads with the name SIMNITT in it, so it does not seem important to Emma, I would suppose, to hide who is the father of her child, although all of her children born to her and Thomas in England, appear to bear only the last name (surname) of the mother.

You can get a copy of the asylum record from Nottinghamshire by saying you are a descendent, although they say the information is confidential which you will obtain.

My understanding (this is actually Sharon Simnitt, the wife of Loren Simnitt, writing - I could not open an account because they require the email address be linked only to one purpose for the use on this website) so anyway, my husband is the youngest of the third generation of Thomas' children that were born in America, if I am correct. My husband was born in 1954 and his father was born in 1903. His father was born in 1876, the youngest of Emma and Thomas' children and he was born in Kansas, United States.

So, out of this last or the youngest of the children of Thomas, comes this story which my husband and all of his family understood to be that pertained to Thomas leaving quickly for America (around 1871).
    So please tell me this story from your point of view!!!!

blueyeshorlicks

So dementia would of been considered madness?? Did any of his children come back to England??

blueyeshorlicks

Nice to talk to you Sharon, thank you for communicating with me! I have a few items that you & your husband might be interested in. John Lyne's Election Bill, and some photos. Please tell me more about the recent generations of Simnitts. I'm keeping my Blind & doubly deaf mother, mentally active with new stories of her American family!

blueyeshorlicks

Is there a case number??

mslorette

Default Simnitt Family in Kansas

My Great grandfather was Joseph Garibaldi Simnitt. His daughter Virginia Simnitt was my grandmother. I have several pictures of this family, if you are interested.

My email is mslorett AT att DOT net

Jinni Lorette Pope

Quote Originally Posted by blueyeshorlicks View Post
    Thank you so much for this. So Selina died of Typus?? I thought that having four children in 5 years had 'finished her off' , is this info. on her death record? Then Thomas married Elizabeth 6 years later...She was 21 and he 31 and dead within 2 years we presume, as the first of Emma's children was born in 1854. If both previous wives were dead, why didn't he marry Emma?
    Do you know of any Italian connections in this family? Katy
    Last edited by Jan1954; 27-03-2013 at 6:56 AM. Reason: Email address edited to try to deter spammers

mslorette

At last...confirmation from someone that my grandmother Virginia Simnitt Lorett did correspond with Simnitts in England. I was told this, but could not find out who she wrote to. Her mother was Etta (not Ella) Anderson Simnitt. Virginia's father was Joseph Garibaldi Simnitt. Virginia named her first son Aloysius Garibaldi Lorette. We always wondered where this name came from.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I know it's been some time since this posting but I just found this particular forum. I'm the great grandson of Emily Simnitt. I'm a descendant of those Simnitts who settled in Kansas. Our family story is that Emma was pregnant when she and Thomas boarded the ship on their journey to America and that she gave birth on the ship but that the child died and was buried at sea. The baby's name was Oceanna. After some time in America, Thomas returned to England to settle some business affairs. There are a couple of versions in the family of the reason he did not return to the US. One is that Thomas died of a stroke before his return. The other is that he settled his business affairs, purchased a ticket back to the US, and boarded the ship but wasn't on it when it arrived in America. I see the on-line record of his committal to the asylum and death while there. My family's oral history has no record of his committal once back in England nor the fact that the children had the surname of Wright prior to their arrival in the US.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345