pamty

Exclamation Not another Smith!

Hi all, Yes I am trying to trace my grandfather Ernest Beniah H Smith. Not easy even with a name like ernest Beniah. All I know so far is that he was born in Driotwich in 1882, and was born Hooper-smith, although I am not 100% about the hooper bit. In 1911 he married Edith Biddle in worcester. They had 3 girls and a boy who died as a child.
    It is a long shot but has anybody gor any more info?
    thanks
    pam

Lottie

Default Not another Smith

Pam
    Located your Grandfather in 1891 Census.

Details
    Piece RG12/2344 Folio 61 Page 17

District Bromsgrove Parish of St John Bromsgrove

Sched. 93 29 High Street
    SMITH John Henry M Head 30 Baker Born Bromsgrove/WOR
    Ellen M Wife 28 Furniture Broker "
    Reginald J S Son 7 Scholar "
    Ernest H " " 5 " "
    NICKLIN Ellen E S Niece 16 Clothes dealer Assistant "

NB Births DEaths Marriages in Bromsgrove - would be registered in the Droitwich Reg. District.

Happy Hunting

Lottie
    New Zealand

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by pamty
    my grandfather Ernest Beniah H Smith....All I know so far is that he was born in Driotwich in 1882, and was born Hooper-smith, although I am not 100% about the hooper bit. In 1911 he married Edith Biddle in worcester.
    From his marriage certificate, what was his age and his father's name and occupation?

Rather than being a hyphenated surname, could the Hooper part have been one of his forenames?

Have you found him in any census returns? If so do the ages and place of birth confirm your information regaring Droitwich 1882?

Have you tried the full GRO index to try and locate his birth?

Geoffers

pamty

Question Smiths from Driotwich??

Dear Lottie,

Many thanks for looking up Ernest for me in the 1891 census. I am not sure this is my grandfather though as the birth dates don't tie up. My grandfather was born in 1882 in Driotwich the BMD index has him down as Ernest Beniha Smith. On my mother's marriage certificate he Ernest Beniah. Plus I don't have any record of a brother Reginald. Is it poosible to look up another Smith. I have an Ernest who was a domestic gardener in 1901. My grandfather had 2 brothers Robert and Harry and a sister Florence.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Pam
    Last edited by pamty; 11-08-2006 at 3:25 PM.

Lottie

Pam

Presume this is the entry you located in GRO Birth Index ?
    Name:Ernest Beniah SmithYear of Registration:1882 Quarter of Registration:Jul-Aug-Sep Districtroitwich County:Hereford And Worcester, Worcestershire Volume:6c Page:367

Droitwich is the Registration District ( and doesn't indicate just the town ) could be anywhere within the Reg. District.
    The following location are included in the District.
    Crowle, Crutch, Dodderhill, Doverdale, Droitwich, Elmbridge, Elmley Lovett, Grafton Manor (1837-62), Hadzor, Hampton Lovett, Hanbury, Hartlebury, Himbleton, Hindlip, Huddington, In Liberties, Marlborough in the Vines, Martin Hussingtree, North Claines, Oddingley, Ombersley, Paper Mills, Salwarpe, Shell, South Claines (1837-85), Stock and Bradley, Tibberton, Upper Mitton (1837-1928), Upton Warren, Warndon, Westwood Park.

I have checked the 1891 Census Index, and cannot find an Ernest born 1882 in that area, with or without siblings Florence and Robert. Do you know his parents forenames ?

Lottie

New Zealand

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Lottie
    I have checked the 1891 Census Index, and cannot find an Ernest born 1882 in that area,
    Bearing in mind the information that the name might be Hooper-Smith, and so could also be Hooper or Smith - I searched an index to 1891 census, this shows a couple of Ernest Hoopers bn c1882 in Worcs.

Do you know his parents forenames ?
    My earlier question repeated - From his marriage certificate, what was his age and his father's name and occupation?

Geoffers