Thread: Which church?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Red face Which church?

I'm trying to obtain my grandfathers baptism record but have a problem - I don't know what church he attended!

He was born and lived in Wandsworth in his early years. He was born in Turtle Road, Summerstown. There appear to be two churches nearby on my old map, one on Wimbledon Road and one on Waynflete Street. I have no idea what either of these churches are called or the denomination. Can anyone help so I can track the record?

Mythology

"one on Wimbledon Road"
    That's St Mary, Summerstown - Church of England.
    From the map, it's on the junction with Keble Street, and Keble Street is what the LMA call it, their definition being:
    SAINT MARY, SUMMERSTOWN, KEBLE STREET, WANDSWORTH

"and one on Waynflete Street"
    That's St Andrew, Earsfield - also Church of England.
    The church web site gives Waynflete Street as the address for the vicarage, but again the LMA catalogue differs slightly, their definition being:
    SAINT ANDREW, EARLSFIELD, GARRATT LANE, WANDSWORTH
    (and as far as the church rather than the vicarage is concerned, I reckon the LMA are correct)

I don't know whether you are 16 or 86 so I have absolutely no idea what sort of dates you're looking at for your grandfather, but using those definitions you can check whether or not the relevant registers are on film at the LMA by using their "London Generations" database.
    Last edited by Mythology; 08-08-2006 at 3:20 AM.

Mythology

Incidentally, St Andrew Earlsfield is a relatively new parish - the first baptism register appears to start in 1890, which makes sense as the church web site says that's when it was consecrated.

Mythology

In addition to those two Anglican churches, I also found what is now the "Summerstown Mission Evangelical Church" in Blackshaw Road which, dates back to the daughter of Rev. John Bigwood starting a sewing circle in a room above a shop in Wimbledon Road in 1879, the Mission Hall itself being built in 1883.

I have no idea what the score is with this place - unless anyone else knows differently, probably best to contact them direct with heavily crossed fingers if grandfather doesn't turn up in one of the C-of-E ones I would think, assuming that the dates are relevant for him.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Red face

Thanks Mythology. Very useful information.