Thread: archway house

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Red face archway house

Help! Can any one tell me about Archway House Archway Road in Islington / Highgate district c1922. The road comes under both boroughs.
    We have found the road but have phoned a few places and no joy on this building. Help please!!!!!!!!!!

AnnB

Have you tried Islington Local History Centre at https://www.islington.gov.uk/Leisure/...istory/634.asp

If not, they might be worth contacting.

Best wishes
    Ann

Red face

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we've already tried them and they can't help us. It is entered under 'place of death' on a death certificate from 1922. I'm interested to know whether it was just a private address and didn't have a house number, or something like a care home etc.... It wasn't this persons normal address according to the certificate, so I want to know what he was doing there!

MarkJ

Well, it was still in existance in 1930. Found this in Google, from Ancestry -

George FORD was born ABT 1867 in Lambeth London , and died 13 JAN 1930 in Archway House . He was buried 18 JAN 1930 in Islington Cemetery

Also, from Rootsweb (again found via Google)-

iii. EPHRAIM FIGGINS, b. 3 October 1867, St Luke, Finsbury; d. 13 February 1929; m. MARY ANNE PAYNE, March 1896, St Saviour, Southwark.

Notes for EPHRAIM FIGGINS:

Ephraim Figgins b.1867 - d.19 Feb 1929 aged 62. Abney Park Cemetery

Figgins, Ephraim 13feb1929 62 149235 C04 7S13

Archway House, Archway Road . . 149235 . 7A13

Not really overly useful I suppose, but at least the place existed in the late 1920's to early 1930's.
    It may be worth trying to find a trade directory of that area for 1930 or so - it may list the house if it was a business.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkJ; 25-07-2006 at 3:19 PM. Reason: double posting bug - yet again

Colin Moretti

Is it part of Archway hospital, built as the Holborn Union infirmary?

You can find out about it here: https://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.htm, search for Holborn Union.

Archway House is not specifically mentioned but I seem to recall reading somewhere on the forum that union infirmaries were often given an innocuous name and not specifically mentioned in death certificates. Perhaps someone could confirm that?

Colin

Colin Moretti

Incidentally, I've just noticed that you've put this in the Surrey forum. Holborn & Islington are not Surrey at all, but Middlesex.

Colin

Red face

Thank you all for your responses It's good to know other people were registered there and I will follow up the infirmary suggestion. I will also post a similar message on the Middlesex forum. Thanks