Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Omega

Did I say that the emigration name would have been BATEMAN as the hyphon wasn't added until they arrived here and only in the boys names and a couple of them dropped the hyphon and a couple kept it. very confusing.

Deirdre

Omega

Default Arrival in Australia found

Ok Christine I give in. Yes they did arrive in Sydney but not until 1927, Record of arrival found https://naa12.naa.gov.au Ship Beltana arrived 10/5/1927 port of disembarkation - Sydney Family Name: Bateman A Mr Barcode no 11552371.

This means dad was 10 years old but he did a lot of schooling in Australia.

Thanks for your efforts, Now from this can we find out where they left from and what date.

I'll try a surf and see what I can find.

Deirdre

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

well done Deidre, see you must take everything that you are told with a grain of salt! and never presume...

easily said than done

Omega

Talking Beltana

Christine

The Beltana was a steam ship were the ships coming to Australia in 1882 steam or sail. I am trying to work out a time line for them leaving England. 1882 Annie Hunt left England 2nd Feb and arrived Brisbane 27 May round figures 3mths would that be the same for a steamship and mean that the Beltana left ? 23rd Jan + or - a day or two. The ship Annie arrived on was the Southesk.

Deirdre

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hi again Deirdre,

https://www.theshipslist.com/ships/de...ns/ShipsB.html

the ships list, Beltana was a brand new ship in 1912. Have a cruise about the site and you will get an idea of what was sailing / steaming where and when.

cheers
    Christine
    Last edited by ChristineR; 24-08-2006 at 2:43 PM.

Omega

Talking Beltana

Christine here is the record and I guess it is a case of believe half of what you see.lol.

Passenger FAMILY NAME, BATEMAN,
    Given names Title Alternative FAMILY NAME, A Mr
    Ship/aircraft name Beltana

Port of embarkation Unknown
    Port of disembarkation Sydney
    Date of arrival 10 May 1927

Barcode no

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Deirdre

Omega

Smile Beltana

BELTANA 1912
    The BELTANA was a 11,167 gross ton ship, length 152,43m x beam 19,13m, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock, she was launched for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Nav. Co (P&O Line) on 24th Jan.1912. Used on the London to Capetown, Melbourne and Sydney service until 1914 when she became a troopship. In 1919 she resumed service to Australia via Suez and in 1930 was sold to Japan with the intention of converting her to a whale factory ship, but she was laid up and eventually scrapped in 1933. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O Line]

Christine from 1919 - 1930 she was doing the Aussie run via Suez so she was in the right place for 1927. And yes she was a steamer but were the a great deal faster than sail or just not governed by the favour of the wind and more reliably time managed? Like I said just trying to get a perspective on time travel took then. When I went to England with mum in 1999 we flew a little quicker but still a long time for a smoker (then not now, smoker that is)

Deirdre

Oh, and I had googled to that site and found the info also found info on the Abyssinia that took my gggrandfather and 2nd family to America while looking for Beltana.....been a successful day today.
    Last edited by Omega; 24-08-2006 at 3:32 PM.

HelenVSmith

Hi

Assuming that there is not much change in the ship and sailing conditions between 1920 and when your lot arrived:

Beltana left Tilbury 17 June 1920 and arrived in Fremantle 28 July 1920 so around six weeks to Fremantle and add probably another week to Sydney allowing for stopovers in Albany and Melbourne.

Regards
    Helen

HelenVSmith

Another thought. You know know when your lot arrived. I'd suggest writing to the National Archives their Coming Home scheme.
    https://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection...mmigrants.html

It costs $25 and you get copies of the immigration documents. You can get copies of their immigration forms, shipping lists etc quite often there were also photographs of the people. Information about them in England and where they planned to go in Australia.
    <FONT styl2>
    It costs $25 and you get copies of the immigration documents. You can get copies of their immigration forms, shipping lists etc quite often there were also photographs of the people. Information about them in England and where they planned to go in Australia.

Regards
    Helen

Omega

Thumbs up Thank You

To Christine, kmward and Helen

I thank you all for your help with this thread. Christine for your patience and guidance as well as your help and interest. kmward and Helen thank you for your help and interest I have appreciated all the work and time you have all put into this.

Deirdre

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123