madbat

Wink Hms Trawler Fort Royal

Does anyone have any information on HMS Trawler Fort Royal? My grandfather was the ship's cook and died when the Fort Royal was hit by German aircraft off the coast of Aberdeen in 1940. I was wondering ifanyone had any photos or information about it. Thanks.

busyglen

Hi,

There are technical details of the Trawler here :https://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/6932.html
    but no photos I'm afraid.

If you do a Google search for HMS Fort Royal Trawler, there are quite a few different entries come up. You might find something of interest amongst them. It looks as if it was only in commission for about 6 months, so possibly not many photos about.

Good luck.

Glenys

Trawlerman

late posting on this one .........

Name
    FORT ROYAL

Construction
    STEEL

Type
    TRAWLER

Date

Description
    Yard Number: 125
    Engine number 208, boiler no. 172
    Builder's certificate dated 11 September 1931.

Requisitioned in August 1939 and converted to a minesweeper. Subsequently purchased into the Royal Navy. Formed a m/s group ICW OHM, Robert Bowen and Thomas Altoft based at Aberdeen for sweeping off the NE coast of Scotland.

Sunk by aircraft, Aberdeen Bay, 9 February 1940. The Group was sweeping approximately 20 miles NE of Aberdeen on 9 February when they were attacked by 2 Heinkel 111s. In the second strike, vessel was struck simultaneously by two bombs and sank in just three minutes.

Shipbuilder
    John Lewis and Sons Ltd, Aberdeen

Dimensions
    Overall: 14 x 23 11/12 x 140 1/3ft
    Gross Tonnage: 351ton

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Fort Royal

I have had similar problems, my grandfather was also on Fort Royal when she was bombed. I’ve posted on a RNPS Facebook group with no joy.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Philscarlet. Hopefully the posts in this thread will help.

Loves to help with queries

This looks to be a pre-war view

http: //trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?
    photo=109050&title=fort-royal&cat=516
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 06-11-2018 at 8:48 PM. Reason: url broken, copy & paste to a browser