golnia

Red face service number// help needed

Hi ,to cut a long story short ,my ggrandfather served in the gordon highlanders between 1894 -1903 his service number was 5636,he then joined the TF in 1908 and then entered the war in 1914......so far so good!.....on his medal card his service number is given as 355715 ,I know that he was given the new number in 1917 as part of the m.o.d's new numbering scheme,but can anyone tell me if there is any way i can find the number he had before the re-numbering?his pension papers /medalcard make no mention of any other number,any helpwould be appreciated.many thanks in advance

golnia

croonaert

If you obtain the relevant medal roll (which is referenced on his MIC which you have already aquired) it should give his number prior to the re-numbering.

I presume that his medal index card shows his entitlement to just the BWM and Victory medal? If he had a star, it would be numbered to his pre-1917 number.

(if he served overseas in 1914, then he would almost certainly have qualified for a star - his pre 1917 service number should be shown on the MIC that shows this star)

Dave
    Last edited by croonaert; 07-10-2006 at 3:10 PM.

croonaert

(just thinking - what was his regiment after 1914? (355715 isn't a Gordon's TF post 1917 number) )

Dave