Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    dave tomlinson

Default Mary Burnett

Hi Jan
    I think you may well be right about James and Elizabeth from Onecote being Mary's parents. One of the witnesses at Marys wedding is a William Burnett.I have a copy of Grindon Parish records ,sadly only up to 1812 ,A Williiam Burnett was born 7 months before Mary (Ford Mill , Grindon ), so they could be cousins , and in the igi a William Burnett was born 1817 at Onecote , this could be her brother . Both are in the 1881 census.
    In the parish records Mary has a brother James born sept. 1810 also at Ford Mill Grindon, If I can find parish records after 1812 with children born at this address and I can find them in the census records I should (in theory) be able to identify the correct families.
    Thanks for the advice about MI's ,I have found a brilliant web site with all of the Grindon memorial inscriptions.
    Thanks once again
    Dave

dave tomlinson

Default Mary burnett

Hi Louise
    Thanks for taking the time to write.You are probably right about the 2 families being related ,the Igi shows details of the marriage between James Burnett and elizabeth Burnett , ... cousins ?? You will see from my previous reply to Jan that I have made a little progress and I think you are right if I can obtain birth records from the parish registers I should be able to determine the correct family . I will keep you posted. The info on MI's I have found is really useful, it gives details of 4 families I am looking for in Grindon .
    Hope you are making progress with your research,
    All the best Dave

louise renfrey

Sincerely hope you have a fab visit at the records office and that you find all the answers you seek. It will certainly be rewarding for you and your family. Grindon is certainly a centre for your folk - I dont know if you have visited the area but it would be fab to see it and you do look at an area differently when you know its where your ancestors were. Very best wishes in your hunt - sounds like a g & t moment, David. kindest reagrds Louise

dave tomlinson

Default Grindon visit

Hi Louise
    School finishes next week for the summer , during the hols I will take a trip down Grindon way . I have camped and cycled in the area with my boys in the days before I was interested in FH. and even cycled past one of the ancestral farms without knowing its family connection .I am looking at 4 local families and have traced several back to the early 1700's , all very exciting.
    At least I feel progress is being made.
    Thanks for your encouragement once again.
    Take care
    David

dave tomlinson

Default Burnetts of Grindon a solution

Hi Following my visit to the records office and help from some folks on G.R.we seem to have worked out the problem. Mary,s family we believe are from Onecote ,James and Elizabeth Burnett. Altogether there were 3 James Burnetts all cousins,their fathers are brothers .Their parents are John Burnett and Sarah Gold . So even if we choose the wrong James Burnett ,it still leads us to the same parents.
    Thanks to all those who offered help advice and the suggestion of a G & T.
    Dave

Default Ford Mill, Grindon, Staffordshire

Hi Dave
    I am doing a little bit of research on Ford Mill, Grindon, Staffordshire which is in a lovely location and wondered if you have made any progress on your Burnett ancestors there?
    Jim

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Jim,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

You may have noticed that Dave's posts are almost twelve years old, and since then Dave has 'retired' from the forum - as noted by the word 'guest' under his name. Sadly it means there is no way of contacting him, and I'm afraid that your only hope of him seeing your message is to keep your fingers crossed that he either occasionally lurks on BG or else he searches somewhere like google for references to his Burnetts and the mill.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12