Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Question John BOWDEN b. 1783 m. Mary MOYLE

This is a brick wall which I just can't climb or knock down!

John BOWDEN b. 1 Jan 1783 Constantine m. Mary MOYLE. John d. 26 May 1830 Wendron, I have no death/burial for his wife, Mary and I can't find her in any of the Censuses.

One of their sons was John BOWDEN b. 23 July 1815 Wendron who married Eliza Unknown. From the following transcription on a gravestone in Constantine, I have deduced that Eliza was b. 1826, she died 8 June 1861 and their son, William BOWDEN was b. April 1861.

I can't find any of the above three people in any of the Cornwall Censuses either! Surely they've not been missed from three of them (1841-1861)?

Does anybody have any ideas? How can I find out the marriage date of John and Eliza?

Gravestone Transcription:

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF

ELIZA,

Wife of JOHN BOWDEN of this Parish
    Who Died June 8th 1861 aged 35 YEARS.

Also

WILLIAM,
    Son of the Above
    Who Died July 26th 1861 aged 3 MONTHS.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Karleedu

Default Bowden

I don't know if this is any help.

FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0 British Isles
    Family Group Record
    Search Results | Download
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Husband
    JOHN BOWDEN Pedigree

Birth:
    Christening:
    Marriage: 14 OCT 1848 Germoe, Cornwall, England
    Death:
    Burial:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife
    ELIZABETH ALLEN Pedigree

Birth:
    Christening:
    Marriage: 14 OCT 1848 Germoe, Cornwall, England
    Death:
    Burial:

Hi Karen,

Thankyou for replying, but I still can't find them in 1851 or 1861 living in Germoe!

As for the marriage record from the IGI, I'm afraid I don't trust the LDS submissions ...... only if they are backed up with true extractions from the Parish Registers, just my opinion of course.

Hi Sharon,

Well, your suggestion paid off! Below is the reply I received for Germoe:

Dear Diane,
    thanks for your email, the details of the marriage are:
    John BAWDEN marrried Elizabeth ALLEN 14 Oct 1848, John BAWDEN of full age, son of John and Elizabeth, full age, dau of William.
    Hope this helps,
    Regards
    June

So this marriage is confirmed, but I still don't know if it is MY John though! Mine is also the son of a John, would be Full Age and sometimes the BOWDEN's have been transcribed as BAWDEN's ...... it's the Eliza/Elizabeth which bothers me, even though I know that Eliza is a 'nickname' for Elizabeth!

So, back to the drawing board!
    Last edited by Guest; 21-08-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Question

and again! I really need some help and advice please?

Just to refresh your memory, I'm reposting the transcription I wrote down, taken from a gravestone in Constantine:

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF

ELIZA,

Wife of JOHN BOWDEN of this Parish
    Who Died June 8th 1861 aged 35 YEARS.

Also

WILLIAM,
    Son of the Above
    Who Died July 26th 1861 aged 3 MONTHS.

Not being able to find any of them in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Censuses for ALL Cornwall ...... a friend suggested that they may have moved to live in Devon and John brought their bodies back for burial to Constantine, for sentimental reasons!

I've just been to FreeBMD and found a ref for a William BOWDEN Birth June Qtr. 1861 Falmouth Reg. District (Constantine) which COULD be my William.

Then I went to 1837.com and looked at Deaths for 1861 and found:

Eliza BOWDEN 1861 June Qtr. Falmouth Reg. Dist.
    William BOWDEN 1861 Sept. Qtr. Falmouth Reg. Dist.

Now these two deaths have got to be mine, so I think that makes the marriage at Germoe a No-No ....... but can someone please tell me whether my next question is right or wrong?

For a person to have their death registered in a certain Reg. District ..... I thought that they had to die within that district?

If I am right ....... where on earth are they in three Censuses? Have they really been missed three times???? Boo Hoo!

P.S. Rod, I really need a crying buckets smiley!

P.S. Particularly now ...... seeing as I have just become an old crone! Boo Hoo!

AnnB

Just to give you something else to think about The name Bowden is quite common (in the nicest sense of the word) in Devon and I have come across it spellt in several ways. Bowden/Bowdon/Bawden/Bawdon/Boaden/Boadon
    Might be that it is recorded in the census under one of the alternative spellings? I've had a look at the 1851 census for Devon, but can't find a 'suitable' match for the couple. Do you know what John did for a living?

Best wishes
    Ann

Reputation beyond repute

Diane

Presumably you have the birth of John from a parish register or equivalent. But where did you get the marriage to Eliza from? I can see it follows from the gravestone but how sure are you that the gravestone does indeed relate to the family of John Bowden (1815)? Might it conceivably be another John Bowden? I'm not disputing what you say, it's just that it wasn't crystal clear to me reading your messages.

I'm sure your next step is to get hold of William's birth certificate and check his mother's name and exactly where he was born. It may also be worth scanning for any possible earlier children. If William had an older sibling, the name might help to track them down on a later census which might yield some more clues - if nothing else it may confirm John's age and birthplace. Not that I have any doubts, of course .....

Sharon

Talking Found them in 1861 Census

They are in the 1861 Census on

RG9/1568 Folio 27 Page 10 Schedule 44

There is also one John BOWDEN on the Ancestru BDM that fits the time scale for yours .

BOWDEN, John1852DecemberTruroCornwall5c300
    HOLMAN, ELiza1852DecemberTruroCornwall5c300

Hope this helps

Thankyou everybody for all your help and suggestions with this puzzle, which has now been solved ..... or 75% of it anyway!

Peter ...... you are correct, this grave is not for my family! BooHoo! Thanks to Sharon saying she had found them in the 1861 Census and kindly giving me the ref, I looked it up on my CD (all the time it was loading, I was wondering how on earth I could have missed them).

I didn't miss them, as that John was b. 1831 Constantine and quite obviously, this is the family 'belonging' to the grave transcription.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it ...... I have dropped the classic clanger of assuming. When I first started my Cornish research, I had a few pointers in the right direction, but I took a wrong turning in assuming that this grave belonged to my family.

My John was b. 23 July 1815 Wendron (Parish Register) and a Family Bible which belonged to his Gt. Niece, lists the children of John BOWDEN m. Mary MOYLE, then down to her family. From the handwriting, it looked as though she was a child when she made the list, particularly as she had just written down forenames e.g. John married Eliza.

Although I've gone wrong re the grave, I'm still 100% sure that my John did marry someone called Eliza, as all the other names listed with marriages have proved to be correct, so I don't see why John's entry should be wrong.

However, I have been looking for the marriage in Cornwall (because of the grave) but perhaps I should be looking in Durham! John's brother William, took all his family there in 1872, except for one daughter Cordelia, who stayed behind, married and lived in Gweek. The Bible belonged to one of her daughters and I saw it in 1994 when I visited Cordelia's Grandson who was still living in Gweek.

So, after years of 'barking up the wrong tree' ....... I'll now have to search for the right one, so thanks to you all for solving the problem for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast