Endsor

Default geography query: Middleton/Prestwich cum Oldham/Oldham below Town

I'm geographically confused, despite my maps. My ggg-grandmother Elizabeth WORTHINGTON was born c.1835 in (according to the 1871 and 1881 censuses, at least) Middleton. She was married in Feb 1852 in Manchester, but I have had no luck finding her or her father James WORTHINGTON, spinner, on the filmed and unfilmed 1851 returns for Manchester. However, a family containing a James, spinner, and a daughter Eliza of the proper age appears on the 1841 and 1851 censuses:

1841: Boardman Ground, Prestwich cum Oldham, Borough of Oldham
    James WORTHINGTON; 43; cotton spinner; Y
    Pennina WORTHINGTON; 44; Y
    George WORTHINGTON; 18; Cotton Piecer; Y
    Jacob WORTHINGTON; 15; Cotton Piecer; Y
    William WORTHINGTON; 11; Cotton Piecer; Y
    John WORTHINGTON; 8; Y
    Eliza WORTHINGTON; 4; Y
    Joseph WORTHINGTON; 3 months; Y
    (HO107/547/12)

1851: 69 Boardman Street, Oldham-below-Town / ED St Marys
    James WORTHINGTON; m; 52; cotton spinner; all b. Oldham
    Penninah WORTHINGTON; m; 52; wife
    John WORTHINGTON; son; 18; Cotton spinner Piecer
    Eliza WORTHINGTON; dau; 14
    Sarah Ann HILL; U; visitor; 19; cotton steam loom weaver
    Mary HILL; U; 17; cotton steam loom weaver
    (HO107/2240)

Are these locales (which may be the same, but with different names) at all close to Middleton?
    Last edited by Endsor; 28-06-2006 at 12:03 AM.

John

OLDHAM, (N. lat. 53º. 30". W. lon. 2º.3".) 71/2 miles N.E. of Manchester, is a parish; or rather a parochial Chapelry (being joined to Prestwich, which see) in the deanry of Manchester, containing 4 townships, viz. Oldham, Royton, Chadderton and Crompton, which, together, are supposed to contain nearly 20,000 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the joint gift of the rectors of Prestwich, Middleton and Bury. The church is an ancient structure with a good peal of bells. Oldham has not a regular market, but has a fair on May 2 for cattle, horses, sheep, toys, &c.

PRESTWICH, 4 miles N.N.W. of Manchester, (but by the turnpike road considerably more) is a parish in conjunction with Oldham, which constitutes one rectory, (though in other respects separate) in the deanry of Manchester. The living is in the gift of the Rev. John Lyon. The parish of Prestwich, properly so called, consists of the following townships, viz. Prestwich, Great and Little Heaton, Whitefield, Unsworth, Outwood, Alkrington, and Tong, which contain together about 10,000 inhabitants. The parish Church of Prestwich is a fine old gothic building, with a tower and six bells. The church yard is most romantically beautiful, overlooking a charming country, rich with picturesque scenery

this and plenty more from

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Gazetteer/

John

skb2

Have you looked at a modern day map to get an idea of relative locations?

eg. www.multimap.com

look for GB place Prestwich, then set scale to 1:200,000

Endsor

Sorry - still foggy....

I see these places are CLOSE to one another, but I guess my real question is: are they so close so as to be CONFUSED for one another?

And could a person born in Prestwich cum Oldham or Oldham below town in 1835 declare, "I was born in Middleton," and not be stretching the truth?

And are the two residences on the two censuses the same? Or is the fact that they both are on or near Boardman Street just a coincidence?

Endsor

I poked around some more online and think I may be barking up the wrong tree. This particular Eliza WORTHINGTON apparently married a man named RUSSELL and is on the 1861 Census with her brother, John. My Elizabeth WORTHINGTON, on the other hand, married Thomas SMITH in Manchester in 1852. So this geography lesson may be moot for the moment...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I realise this is an old thread.
    The families you mention in the 1841 and 1851 Census are the same family.
    There is often confusion in that the St Mary's Oldham parish is a sub parish of the Preswitch parish.
    Middleton is about 4 miles from Oldham.