Fulhamster

Talking BARGE , BURGER. (Bermondsey)

My great grandfathers' first wifes' name was either BURGER or BARGE. I beleive that they married sometime between 1890 -1900 (not sure). They moved to Camberwell and I know that she died quite young. his name was POCOCK, George and came from Bexhill (Sussex). This message is posted in the hope that someone else researching BARGE or BURGER in this area might be able to point me in the right direction?
    Many thanks in advance,
    The Fulhamster.

Frank W

Default Red herrings?

You might also consider the surname BURGE as a possibility. I found a James BURGE age 27, Unmarr, in Wimbledon in 1871 Census. (Born in Bath, Somerset) I had a quick look at FreeBMD, and found a James BURGE marriage in Sep 1872, and possible spouse surnames BAILEY or JACKSON. Followed by a birth of Kate Ellen in Sep 1872, and Alice Matilda in Sep 1874. All very fanciful, but do you know your GGM's christian names?
    Frank W

Fulhamster

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Frank W]You might also consider the surname BURGE as a possibility. I found a James BURGE age 27, Unmarr, in Wimbledon in 1871 Census. (Born in Bath, Somerset) I had a quick look at FreeBMD, and found a James BURGE marriage in Sep 1872, and possible spouse surnames BAILEY or JACKSON. Followed by a birth of Kate Ellen in Sep 1872, and Alice Matilda in Sep 1874. All very fanciful, but do you know your GGM's christian names?

There is some confusion, but I beleive that both she and her daughter had more or less the same names but I am really not sure:
    GGGM: BARGE(?) Mary Anne 1821(?)
    GGM: BARGE(?) Mary Ann !845(?)

of course, Bermondsey would have been in Surrey then.

Many, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to help a 'newbie' out!
    All the very best,
    Reg.