Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Donauschwaben View Post
    Okay my family has a few....

1st one

My 5th great grandmother Mary Ann Vane/Courtenay(1784-1846) was the product of an affair that Sir William Courtenay, Earl of Devon, viscount of Powderham had witha a lady...(unkown name) ther family after finding out about the girl after William died (she was only 4) they kicked her out of the family and destroyed all records of her...she was sent to canada to marry a english soldier under her mothers names Vane (kin to Sir Harry Vane, Puritan Govenor of Mass. On her way to canada her ship encountered a storm on the shores of labrador where it sank and she was the only survivor, while stranded in labrador she met Louis Chevalier also an illegimate child of Annie Chevalier(1745-1813) and Philip Lloyd(1756-1804) (Lloyd Bros.)

They married and there children were the patriarchs and matriarchs of the Jones, Robertson and Chevalier family of newfoundland and labrador.
    Hi Cousin! That's my family too. Will have to follow up further on both sides as I hadn't heard of Louis' situation before.

I am aiming to perhaps find a female relative of the Courtenay side (i.e. William's mother's family) to test against a female cousin of mine that I've determined is a direct female descendent of Mary Ann Vane. That might be the only way to test the well-documented stories about this.

Ann

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Ann,

Unfortunately Donauschwaben posted their message ten years ago, and since then have left the forum so there is no way of contacting them.
    We'll just have to hope that someone, somewhere, does an internet search on Mary Ann Vane/Courtenay and gets lead to your post. I presume that's how you found BG, and that's how others will too. Just remember to keep your BG contact details (i.e. your email address in our records) up to date then you'll be notified if anyone posts in this thread.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12