AntH

Question Gas Works Labourer Ilfracombe Devon -1940

I am an Australian citizen who needs assistance with locating the company name and address of a "gas works" operating in the Ilfracombe Devon area in 1940. I have recently discovered my biological grandfather Stanley Gordon Chapple (born Gordon Stanley Chapple, Barnstaple, 1914) was a "gas works labourer" in 1940 as recorded on my father's birth certificate. At the time my grandfather lived at 12 Foxbeare Rd Ifracombe Devon. I never knew my grandfather and have no other information about him. I hope archived company records may at least provide my grandfather's date/place of birth. If anyone can assist I would be very grateful.
    Last edited by AntH; 20-06-2006 at 2:10 PM.

AnnB

I can't find very much about the Gas Works in any of my local books, but apparently the Ilfracombe Gas Company was formed in 1837 and built a gas works at the back of Church Street in 1837. The gas works later moved to a new site at Hele with the old site being bought by the Council for £2,500.

For more information, I would think your best bet would be to contact the North Devon Local Studies Service. If there are any records, they are more than like to have them or know where they might be.

Hope that helps
    Best wishes
    Ann

AntH

Smile Thanks Ann

Dear Ann,

Thank you for the information. I will explore the sites you have suggested.

Sincere Thanks,
    W and A Hill

Default my uncle by marriage was Gordon Stanley chapp

Quote Originally Posted by AntH View Post
    I am an Australian citizen who needs assistance with locating the company name and address of a "gas works" operating in the Ilfracombe Devon area in 1940. I have recently discovered my biological grandfather Stanley Gordon Chapple (born Gordon Stanley Chapple, Barnstaple, 1914) was a "gas works labourer" in 1940 as recorded on my father's birth certificate. At the time my grandfather lived at 12 Foxbeare Rd Ifracombe Devon. I never knew my grandfather and have no other information about him. I hope archived company records may at least provide my grandfather's date/place of birth. If anyone can assist I would be very grateful.
    Hello. I was trying to research my uncle's naval service and your message came up. If you are still interested please contact me. I have checked with my father and jobs and dates as far as we know match!? Yvonne Ford