Thread: Lost in Exeter

GeoffD

Default Lost in Exeter

I need the assistance of someone with a knowledge of the geography of Exeter, especially around the cathedral. In my transcription efforts of 1841, I have been wandering Precinct of the Close. I have come out of Bear Street, moved onto Palace Gate, and will soon end up in Cathedral Yard. But before I get there, I am stuck in <unintelligible> Square, where <unintelligible> looks as if it could be something like 'Deumy'. Been searching maps all morning, but can find nothing that looks like that anywhere in that vicinity. A search for 'Square' in Exeter doesn't give me any likely candidates.

I have been a little naughty, and captured the offending bits from the image.

Can anybody out there save my sanity? (This enumerator's writing is semi-atrocious, and causing me all sorts of mental anguish.)

Many many thanks, and a Gold Star to the first logical answer.
    Last edited by GeoffD; 07-06-2006 at 12:29 AM.

Mythology

Going by the enumerator's description in 1851, I reckon he can't spell "Deanery" and (unless it was renamed in between times) doesn't know a Place from a Square.

GeoffD

By George, I think he's got it! This enumerator is not great on his spelling, that I know, and I have to work very hard not to correct him when transcribing. As for his handwriting, his 'a' looks like his 'u' looks like his 'o' looks like his 'n' looks a bit like his 'ee'.

Gold Star (not the big BSA) for Myth. Thank you.
    Last edited by GeoffD; 07-06-2006 at 9:34 PM.

christine woodford

geoff, it could be deanery square.

GeoffD

Yes, Deanery Square/Place fits as a location, but unfortunately I have to transcribe it as written so when the 1841 goes up on FreeCEN etc. it will be "Deanry Square" unless the checker edits it.
    Last edited by GeoffD; 01-07-2006 at 11:24 PM.