Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Melissa Jones

Talking Hogan family - County Tipperary

Hello all,

I have a number of Irish ancestors and would appreciate anyones help with finding out more information on them.

My great, great grandfather was Patrick Hogan (p. Thomas Hogan and Anne Horrigan/Hourigan). He was born around 1845 in Ballyrickard, Co. Tipperary. Known siblings were: James, Timothy, Thomas, Michael (and possibly Daniel). Married: Bridget Hogan from Co. Tipperary (p. Jeremiah Hogan and Anne Whelan/Whalen) (known siblings: Michael, James, John, Ellen (and 1 other female) in Cloughjordan. Patrick and Bridget came to Australia with their children, Anne and Mary.

Most of Patrick and Bridget's siblings came to Australia but I'm eager to find distant cousins whose families stayed in Ireland.

Any other help or advice with researching my Irish ancestors would also be appreciated.

Regards,

Melissa Jones

RichardMarcJ

My family came from Tipperary and many still live there. However, we have no Hogans. We're Morrisseys and Wilsons. How have you gone about trying to find information on your family?

Loves to help with queries

Hi Melissa
    A few thoughts as to how you could approach this. One you could go onto the curious fox website as it is now also covering irish villages. You could enter your family information for free for both locations and see if anyone gets in touch. This site also has good map links so very useful in pinpointing location of a village and which villages are close by.
    Also you could look at the Tipperary surname list at www.
    connorsgenealogy.com/tipp/tipperarysurnamesEtoL.html and contact the Hogans there and see if any are related.
    I assume you have already looked at the Tipperary page on Genuki - https://
    home.pacbell.net/nymets11/genuki/TIP/index.html -a fund of info on County Tip.

Hope this helps.
    Jill
    Researching COTTER Brosna Co Kerry and Glanworth Co Cork and Cork City
    QUAID Cloncagh Co Limerick and Cork City
    Last edited by Guest; 25-09-2007 at 5:53 PM.

Melissa Jones

Thanks both for your suggestions - it is much appreciated.

I've put quite a few Hogan entries on various websites but have had limited replies (surprisingly though, I've had more luck with this method with my Jones ancestors). Conversely, I've replied to numerous entries but have been unable to find any connections so far.

Looking through the Ireland telephone directory, I've come across a Hogan living in Ballyrickard. However, I feel abit awkward just sending them a letter. Has anyone tried this method before?

Melissa

a.barnes

Smile Tipperary

I have a number of Irish ancestors and would appreciate anyones help with finding out more information on them.

My great, great grandfather was Patrick Hogan

Hi Melissa
    I know I am not being very helpful here with you In Australia, but the best way of finding ancestors in Ireland is to visit the place to get a view on how small the areas are and how villages seem to merge into one another. Cloughjordan for instance. We were looking at Borrisokane and Cappanasmear. Borrisokane is a town with a High Street. Capanasmear is just fields and totally rural, although only a couple of miles apart. We didn't connect the 2 families for years until we actually saw how close the places were. What the land doesn't show you is at some point, there had been quite a lot of houses in Cappanasmear and now there is nothing. Wooden constructions and stone buildings without foundations won't leave a mark with the passage of time.
    The locals look at you with an air of bewilderment as it is beyond their comprehension as to why you would traipse around, looking for dead people. We saw hundreds of Hogan graves in Borrisokane and the surrounding areas. The name is one of the most common and everyone you speak to is either a Hogan or related to one. Infact, they all seem to be related to each other ?? But finding relatives from the potato famine era is hard as the records are few, the gravestones are few and these people are well out of living memory to the locals.
    Your best bet is to start off with a good map. Look for tithe aplotments, trade directorys, Griffiths Valuation lists and start to piece it together like a jigsaw. Contact the Tipperary History Society (I think for that area it is Nora O'Meara). You have to pay but they do give you baptisms, marriages or burial records. Unfortunately in Ireland, the family history societys do have everything sewn up so that unless you visit each church seperately and sit under the bemused and sometimes annoyed gaze of the parish priest, there is no other way of accessing records, especially from abroad.
    One other thing I will say and which we learnt while there from the locals is that a lot of the older graves will be found in the Church of Ireland graveyards even if the family was Catholic.
    regards
    Andrea

Melissa Jones

Thanks for the email Andrea.

Yes, I would love to go over to Ireland someday and explore the Tipperary area.
    Searching for a name Hogan in Tipperary is luckily not as daunting as searching for my Jones ancestors in Wales ; )
    I've been able to find my G-G-G Grandfather, Thomas Hogan, on the Griffiths Valuation lists in Ballyrickard North, County Tipperary. I have a suspicion that Thomas' father may have been named James, but need to get further evidence to prove this.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,

Melissa

Midletonman

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Jones
    Looking through the Ireland telephone directory, I've come across a Hogan living in Ballyrickard. However, I feel abit awkward just sending them a letter. Has anyone tried this method before?

Melissa
    It's not that unusual an approach to try and some have had great success with it.
    Twp points to remember:
    Never say you are doing Genealogy - this seems to make people run a mile - like you are after the family fortune or something.
    Put an addressed envelope in with the return postage.

I have heard of some people putting relevant photo's in as well which seems to help.

There are no guarantees but nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

Good luck

You could also try posting too Y-Ireland, they are a very friendly bunch and with a thousand plus members you might get lucky. You will certainly get some good advise from them.

Good luck
    Last edited by Guest; 25-09-2007 at 5:53 PM.

Melissa Jones

Thanks for the advice Midletonman. I'm attending a family reunion this weekend so will discuss some things with my cousins who are also compiling the family history. If we haven't been able to find out any other info, I'll suggest that we write to individuals listed in the phone book.

Melissa

phoenixerising

Thumbs up

hi i emailed someone erlier today who had the surname burke and i think they said something about hogans from tipperary
    but sometimes writing a letter does work.

This Michael Burke came to America in 1838 as a young boy. He settled in the upstate New York town of Chataguay. In 1850 he married Catherine Hogan. They had a farm in Ellenburg, New York. They had five children Catherine, Mary, John, Bridget, and Margaret. I'm not sure where the Burke's came from in Ireland, but they were on the same ship as the Hogan's and the Hogan's came from Tipperary. Michael Burke is my great-great-grandfather. It this is the Michael Burke you're looking for I have much more on the family. Good luck.
    this was what he sent me i hope it helps you

fiona burke

Melissa Jones

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't come across a Catherine Hogan in my family history so far. County Tipperary is one of the main centres for the Hogan name so there are heaps around.

Melissa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast