Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peasmarsh & Rye

Jimsgirl

Default William Clarke

Thanks for the prompt reply! I know he died in Hastings/St Leonards and died later then his wife. My mother-in-law was his youngest child and she was about 13 when her mother died and she lived with her father. They lived at one time in Western Road, St Leonards and this was after his wife died. Any help would be welcome! In 1901 they were living at Victoria Dwellings.

Mary.

Jane M

Mary,
    There is one death registered on FreeBMD, William Clarke Q1 1921 age 68, Hailsham reg. district (2b 138) Right spelling & right age. Can anyone in the family remember him moving from Hastings/St. Leonards & a rough year for his death or how old he was?

jane

Jimsgirl

Default William Clarke

Hi Jane,
    Thanks for the information. I have never heard of him moving to the Hailsham area but 1921 seems feasible too. I will make enquiries with the family but no-one seems to know much about him.
    Mary.

Jan1954

Mary,

If you order the certificate using the information that Jane has provided, there may be a clue on it such as address, informant etc.

Jane M

Mary, if you go here https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d.../hailsham.html you will see the areas that Hailsham covered during which dates, something might ring a bell. I would ask around the family to see if this William fits the bill otherwise your paying out for something that's not going to be of much help. Surely someone must have a photo with an inscription a book a memory or something that might give a clue

jane

Jimsgirl

Default William Clarke

Hi,
    You have me to a tee banging my head against a brick wall! I have emailed my sister-in-law re this but no reply so far. We think most of the papers, photos etc went to my mother-in-laws sister and that her daughter, now deceased, or her children seem to have lost it all. I will try to get in touch with them but don't hold out much hope.
    Thanks for all your help.
    Mary.

Jane M

Wishing you the best of luck. What about looking for a possible will? There is information on the TNA site about how to go about looking for post 1858 wills?

Jane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12