Loves to help with queries

Default Town Patrol - What is this?

I have a postcard from Devonport, dated 1906 saying 'Am going into Crownhill tonight to try and see Gerald as I cannot go on Sunday as I have to take Town Patrol"

Does anyone know what occupation Town Patrol refers to?

AnnB

I may be totally wrong, but I think your ancestor may have been a policeman? I think 'town patrol' is something a policeman would have done ie as in patrolling a town (or part of a town) as part of his duties.

Best wishes
    Ann

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C
    I have a postcard from Devonport, dated 1906 saying 'Am going into Crownhill tonight to try and see Gerald as I cannot go on Sunday as I have to take Town Patrol"
    Bearing in mind this is Devonport and an RN base; this might also be an RN patrol picking up drunken waifs and strays who should be back at their ship.

Geoffers

Default Town Patrol

Ann and Geoffers - many thanks for your replies.

Do you think it is probable/possible that the Gerald in Crownhill he refers to would be at the Crownhill Fort and if so would that mean he was in the Navy?

Mary

AnnB

As far as I know, Crownhill is an area of Plymouth which covers more than the Fort.

Best wishes
    Ann

Default Town Patrol

Thanks Ann.

Both Gerald and George (the writer of the postcard) were from Bristol, so I guess it is possible that they could have joined the Navy and been stationed in Crownhill/Devonport.
    More searching!!

Mary

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C
    Both Gerald and George (the writer of the postcard) were from Bristol, so I guess it is possible that they could have joined the Navy and been stationed in Crownhill/Devonport.
    Don't forget that you can search the registers of Seamen's Services online at the National Archives, and pay to download any service records that you find.

Geoffers

Default Town Patrol

Thanks again to you both. I have tried the National Archives, but with no luck, so this is a bit of a dead end!

Mary