slimjake

Default David Niven McMurray, Maryport

Looking for information on David Niven McMurray b.1860 Maryport, Cumberland. Father John McMurray, mother Jane.

He appears in 1861 through to 1881 census but then disappears. His brothers and sister ended up in London. By 1881, after his parents had both died he was living with his uncle Francis Walker, grocer in Maryport.

Can find no mention of David in BMD. Anybody any suggestions?

Would also like to find details of marriage between John and Jane McMurray.

ET in the USA

How about this from freebmd.rootsweb.com

Maryport is in the Cockermouth registration Distrist, at least it was in 1860.

COCKERMOUTH REGISTRATION DISTRICT
    Registration County : Cumberland..
    Created : 1.7.1837.
    Sub-districts : Cockermouth; Cockermouth & Maryport; Keswick; Maryport; Workington.
    GRO volumes : XXV (1837-51); 10b (1852-1946); 1A (1946-74).
    Births Jun 1860
    MCMURRAY David Driver Cockermouth Vol. 10b Page 498

If you click on the pair of glasses on the free BMD page, or look at the free images on ancestry, you will see that it a typed entry, which means that sometime, somebody typed the page in the book from the original handwritten entry sent to the GRO by the district.
    Maybe that person didn't read or type too good

How about this for a marriage possible ? If his Uncle was Francis Walker, It works for me.

Marriages Mar 1858
    McMurray John Liverpool 8b 178
    Walker Jane Liverpool 8b 178

You don't say where and when the 1861 & 1871 say John and Jane were born, but perhaps you could find that too on FreeBMD if it was before Sept. 1837.
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 7:41 PM.

slimjake

Thanks ET.

After I posted this I found Jane Walker and her family in the census for Maryport so I am sure you are right. I just could not find John and Jane in the marriage register. Mind you I didn't look in Liverpool!

They certainly seemed to travel about at that time.

audrey

Quote Originally Posted by slimjake
    Looking for information on David Niven McMurray b.1860 Maryport, Cumberland. Father John McMurray, mother Jane.

He appears in 1861 through to 1881 census but then disappears. His brothers and sister ended up in London. By 1881, after his parents had both died he was living with his uncle Francis Walker, grocer in Maryport.

Can find no mention of David in BMD. Anybody any suggestions?

Would also like to find details of marriage between John and Jane McMurray.
    a little bit of info on Francis Walker
    1883 the shop & Address 78 Crosbey Street West they had the shop for 8 years and then it was taken over by Dan Clark in 1891
    this info comes from Street life in Maryport 19-20 centuries by Herbert & Mary Jackson

audrey

johnpritt

Quote Originally Posted by audrey
    ...this info comes from Street life in Maryport 19-20 centuries by Herbert & Mary Jackson
    Audrey

do you have any more information on this (I presume) book? It sounds very interesting and since some of my family come from Maryport, I would like to get hold of it. However, a quick search on Amazon drew a blank...

many thanks
    John

audrey

John
    sadley these books are all out of print now but I would look up any info you might want they are a bit tatty now but wonderfull old photoes and stories about the people of Maryport the other books I have are
    Maryport iof the past
    Maryport The Town that refused to die

audrey