cherrypop

Smile trying to find history on the honniballs

i am trying to trace my roots from my mothers side of the family.

her name is iris may honniball
    mothers name ada ellen tanner
    fathers name alfred charlse honniball
    1893-1972
    his father wasalbert ernist honniball
    1850-1889
    wife jessie honniball

but i under stand that they have come from sommerst or should i say there parents and would love to know if any body could help me
    on where to start

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Some of my Ancestors are HONNIBALL's from Somerset, so I will have a look in my file to see if any of the names you list are in there.

In the meantime, have you managed to see any Census Returns for your names? The later ones will give (hopefully) the town/village of birth as well as the County ..... then you will know if they were definitely from Somerset.

If you haven't been able to do this, I can look for you if it would help?
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Copper

First of all have you got the birth and marriage certificates for the people you have mentioned in your post? I ask as I looked for the death of Alfred Honniball in 1972 and could not find him.

I have Hannibals in my tree (they were from Essex and Suffolk) but the name is spelt a number of ways in the records.

You need to work backwards from yourself, buying certificates as proof along the way. If you make assumptions you might end up tracing the wrong family. You can search the birth, marriage and death indexes in several places. I would start with Free BMD as this is free. The indexes are being transcribed, so it is a work in progress and does not have many records after 1901. Then you have to pay to use sites or go down to your local record office/library and ask if they have the GRO indexes on fiche. This will also be free to use but you would have to probably book a fiche reader.

I hope that this helps

Sorry ...... Alfred wasn't born in Somerset.

CENSUS 1901 Ref: RG13/247/145/10
    Dwelling: 138 St. Albans Bds. Holborn, London

Jessie HONNIBALL (41) Widow Bookfolder Binder b. Holborn, London
    Albert E. HONNIBALL (12) Son b. Holborn, London
    Alfred C. HONNIBALL (7) Son b. Holborn, London
    Fanny V. HONNIBALL (4) Daughter b. Holborn, London

I'll have a look in the earlier Census to see where his Father was born.

I looked for the family in 1891, but I'm afraid I couldn't find them. Although I tried lots of surname variation spellings, plus searching for just Jessie b. 1860 with 2+ and - each side, Holborn, still no luck .... sorry.

According to the 1901 Census, Fanny was born 1896/7, so Albert Ernest possibly died 1899 and this was a typing error?

his father wasalbert ernist honniball
    1850-1889

As Copper suggests, search the Indexes for dates.

Good Luck!

cherrypop

Smile thank you

i have no idea when the honniballs frist come to london
    my great gran father was born in westminster in 1850 and i belive that he had a brother

but what yr and where were they from befor that

my reshearch has lead me to find honniballs in sommerset and northfork and even maybe devon

i am at a loss here

my mother has told me that her granfather or great granfather was in the royal horse guards artellery in the boer war
    but i havent come across any infromation about this and donot know where to go for it

thank you for aleast trying for me and hope we can still try to find were they come from

thank you for your help

toni

Copper

Have you got the birth certificate for your great grandfather born in Westminster in 1850? If so perhaps you could post the details here then maybe Diane and I can help a bit more.

I have just checked the GRO birth index for 1850 and could not find a Honniball birth registered in Westminster!

cherrypop

Smile having problems with my pc using my sons msn

for some reason having a lot of problems in getting in to my msn have no idea on what is wronge

so incase you do not hear from me in a while im not agoying you i need a new pc

i would just like to thank every one for your help in finding my roots i think i have found eobert honniball he was born in sommerset but went to work in swansea but come back and married charlotte treagus whos father was the land owner of 200 archers so i have found the link there

so im not going nuts after all lol

any way thanks again and good luck for the future

Posted by cherrypop 18 July 2006 (copied from another forum)

i have been searching the family for about 6mths now have may have found a link

my great great great granfather robert honniball was born in1802 in oak sommerset he come to sussex and married a cholate treagus whos family was land owners they also moved to clarkenwell palce and had 4 children

somewhere down the line they moved to westminster where my granfather was born alfred charlse honniball born in 1893 his mother was jessie father albert alfred had a brother named ernist and a sister names fanny vitoria could this be a link to you

i have notice that there are no more honniballs left or many lft in sommerset i wonder why this may be i had a confusion with my robert as he went to swansea and become a tin man before moving back to england

my granfather was in ww1 in the royal field artellery and he recieved 3 medals the vc the md and 1914 star this is all in the records he also become a printer like his father his mother jessie was a book binder her husband albert was a top printer and made jessie a widow but when and how am not sure

sorry for babling on as this subject is so intersting that you can just get lost in there lifes hope this may have helped you and you can reach me on [email protected] if you belive there may be a link it would be nice to know where i come from and if i have any surving relatives as i dont know them

I'm sorry, but the only info I have in my file for a Robert HONNIBALL b. 1802 Somerset, is as follows:

Robert bap. 04 Jun 1802 Oake, Somerset d. 1889 London m. Ann LOCKYER 10 Jun 1830 Bristol. Ann b. 1802 Oake, Somerset d. Aft. 1881.

Seven children, Robert, Joseph, Edwin, Frederick, William, Sarah Ann and Jane.

I think it would be best if you search the GRO Indexes, as suggested by Copper.