PatMac

Question Glendale Registration District

I have been looking for records for the birth of a direct ancestress named Ellen or Eleanor Davidson, born @ 1853-4 supposedly in Berwick, Northumberland. The only birth registration I have found which looks probable is that for an Eleanor Davidson, born March quarter 1953 in Glendale Registration District, Vol 10b, p285.

Can anyone tell me what geographical area Glendale District covered??

uksearch

https://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/di.../glendale.html

Take a look at the above link.

UK

Mythology

"born @ 1853-4 supposedly in Berwick, Northumberland."

Given the coverage of Glendale registration district and depending on the probable accuracy of that birthplace, beware of possible confusion between the well-known Berwick (upon Tweed, not in Glendale RD) and Bewick (Old and New, both in Glendale RD). If "Berwick" is from a census, I would think it quite likely that it's an enumerator's misreading and the Glendale one may well be her.

PatMac

Talking Berwick vs Bewick

Thank you, kind sirs, for your speedy responses. I took another look at the census reports, and on each one it clearly states Berwick upon Tweed, though apparently the census takers often didn't know what COUNTRY the town was in, since it was stated variously in the records as "England" and "Scotland". Ellen's father John was born in Berwick Upon Tweed also, in 1841 he was a resident of (the?) Woolmarket, a tailor by trade.

I will continue to search for her birth registration in Berwick RD. On behalf of my great-grandmother Ellen Davidson and myself, once again, many thanks.

PS, to uksearch: Why are you hiding away among the shelves? Aren't you afraid some dusty old tome will fall on your head?

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by PatMac
    SNIP
    PS, to uksearch: Why are you hiding away among the shelves? Aren't you afraid some dusty old tome will fall on your head?
    No not at all. It might knock some sense into me . I have been lurking here since I was made redundant from the Selnec Jam Butty Mines, a subsidiary of the world-famous Knotty Ash company.

UK

emjay

There is an Ellen Davison registered in Berwick 10b page 278 for the March quarter 1852. Is this too early?

PatMac

Quote Originally Posted by emjay
    There is an Ellen Davison registered in Berwick 10b page 278 for the March quarter 1852. Is this too early?
    Thankyou emjay. I'd begun to suspect she might have fudged her age on her marriage certificate. Could you please now tell me where you found the record? I tried searching again on Ancestry and FreeBMD just to verify (using 1852), and still could find nothing!!

emjay

I think I found it on Free BMD, but it was so slow when I went to check it that I went to Ancestry.

It is 1852 March quarter and the image is number 59.

PatMac

Thumbs up Ellen Davidson-Davison

Thanks to all for the help.

Emjay- Your find seems about the best bet, but I'll have to apply for the certificate to be certain.

I don't have many folks of interest from Northumberland the Davidsons beingthe main ones though there were a few Covells and Cubitts wandering around in Northumberland in the later 1800s. These were refugees from Norfolk, mostly miners, and not such close relations.

Thanks again to all

Pat