Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Burrow Digger

Default I found a brand new cousin.

I am still in shock. Twelve hours ago I received an email from a woman in New Zealand (which is my original home country) who mentioned a post I had put up here on BG. The real shock is that it was pertaining to my mothers side of the family. My mother was adopted. I really was not expecting to find anyone.

Anyway she asked how was I related because the name I mentioned was her 3x gt grandfather. He was my 3x gt grandfather well, so I emailed her back and explained my descent.

It turns out she is my 3rd cousin!!!!! Her gt grandmother and my gt grandfather were brother & sister. Her grandmother and my grandmother were first cousins and were very good friends when they were growing up.

I think - I hope - my mother will be pleased to make some small contact with her original family. I know I am thrilled.

Burrow Digger

Copper

Wow great news. Congratulations.

AnnB

That's fantastic BD

I have 'found' a 3rd cousin of my husband's through these forums - and she and I have become the best of friends - and we've broken down a few brick walls between us (two brains always being better that one )

Best wishes
    Ann

Sandra Parker

I can only echo your thrill of finding 'unknown' family. Only those who have done this can understand the disbelief, excitement, rush to share, and feeling of great joy and satisfaction, sense of belonging and more, all rolled into one.

My Mum's family was totally unknown and I now have photos of a whole generation of GGGrandparents, GG aunts and Uncles, and a wonderful corresponding family, who belong to me.
    Sandra

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Christine

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Hi Burrow Digger

I'm very happy for you too
    The same thing happened with me about ten months back. I found three brothers all close to 80yrs old who's great grandfather and mine were brothers living on the Isle of Wight but moved to London c1900. I never knew they existed and the three of them said that they believed they had absolutely no relatives. Two of them are married the other never married and none of them have any children.

The best of this story is that one of them that lives in Canada come over to Melbourne with his wife in Feb this year to meet me and all my family. They were thrilled to bits. Extremely nice couple. They brought with them a large number of old photos and gave me 40 of these photos, some showing relatives that were born c1790.

This has been a great find for me. I never had any plans to visit Canada but with a bit of luck we might be flying to Vancouver in the near future.

The other two brothers both live in England are very private persons so I doubt if I'll ever meet them but I do have photos of them.

Cheers.

Wonderful news! congratulations. I had the same experience 5 years ago when I connected with family in Melbourne so I know how you feel -

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Burrow Digger

Thumbs up

Latest update - Yes my mother wants to meet with my new cousin (mom's second cousin once removed).

I found this woman's name/address online (white pages are so easy) and passed that to mom, so she will make the first phone call.

I hope they both tell me what happens.

BD

joette

Thumbs up

Brilliant especially when she was adopted & had no "handed down history" of her original family.
    Hope all goes well & it such a thrill to make the connections of which I have made a few.

Ron Leech

Well done BD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast