Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    katenichols

Cool Unconsecrated Ground

Hi , Do any of you have any idea why aperson would be buried in unconsecrated ground?
    My Grandmother is burieed in Wealdstone Cemetery, in according to the map of it, unconsecrated ground. She died in 1948, of Pulmonary TB, the family wasnt very wealthy, but I didnt think this would matter?

Any hints gratefully recieved

ta
    Kate

Reputation beyond repute

Basically I think simply because she wasn't a member of the Church of England. It's just the way the local authority has divided the cemetery.

If it's important to you, it doesn't preclude the possibility that a minister or priest of another denomination or religion has done whatever might be appropriate to consecrate the site of the grave in the unconsecrated section.

coenmfam

My wife's grandmother had twins
    the boy was stillborn and had to be buried in unconsecrated ground
    as he was not christened
    the girl only lived a day, we believe was christened, and was eligible to be buried in consecrated ground
    this caused a fair bit of friction apparently
    and my wife's grandmother insisted the two be buried together, so they were both buried in unconsecrated ground.
    My wife thinks that the graves are also unmarked.

My wife feels quite sad about it
    she querried her mum who replied
    "They were buried in the corner of the cemetery somewhere
    in an unmarked grave ....."

Nev

katenichols

Thanks for the info, i thought it was probably that, mum is off to question family on it this weekend.

Nev, that is so sad, would the church not have a record of where in churchyard perhaps? If not a churchyard then the local records office for the area will have burial records for any cemetery usualy.
    Hope I have may this clear enough. Thanks Kate
    Last edited by katenichols; 08-04-2006 at 9:01 PM. Reason: updating

Mythology

"would the church not have a record of where in churchyard"

What church? It is a cemetery not a churchyard.
    It is run by the local council, and there is no reason to suppose that any church would have had anything to do with the burial at all.
    The fact that she was buried in unconsecrated ground suggests that this was so. The normal procedure where the church is involved is to hold a funeral service, after which the vicar (or whoever) from the church attends the actual burial as well, and the person is buried in the section of the cemetery that has been consecrated.

Edit:
    Or are you talking about Nev's case, in which case ignore that lot!

Reputation beyond repute

1. I wasn't sure about Kate's message either.

2. The way I understand it is that the consecrated section of an English local authority cemetery is consecrated by the Church of England and is reserved for Church of England burials only. The unconsecrated section is for all other denominations or religions or non-religous burials. As I tried to emphasise before, the burial plot in the 'unconsecrated' section may be 'consecrated' according to the rites of the particular denomination or religion involved - if the concept of consecrated ground is important to them.

Mythology

Yes, agreed, Peter, sloppy wording by me - for "church" in mine read "Anglican church". I was basically trying to emphasise that it isn't a churchyard, it's a municipal cemetery - apologies for carelessness.
    (But, as refelected by the edit, I may have got the wrong end of the stick anyway!)

Reputation beyond repute

OK Mythology. Now that I've had a good dose of caffeine I realise that's what you meant.

tiggerbrat

Default My Great Grandfather buried at Wealdstone Cemetery, Plot F-4518

How would I get photo of his gravesite or more details I am in Australia
    He was buried on 6 February 1942 at the Wealdstone Cemetery, Plot F-4518. Henry George PRATT

Guy Etchells

Let me clear up a common mis-conception before dealing with the question in hand.

There is nothing to stop unbaptised babies, infants, children or adults being buried in consecrated ground.
    Over the years thousands of bodies of unbaptised people were buried in Church of England churchyards let alone cemeteries.
    Do not forget every person who lives in a parish has the undisputed right to be buried in the churchyard (if it is still open to burials), no matter who they are or what, if anything they believe.

Cemeteries are divided into two sections.
    Consecrated: This section is consecrated on opening and is mainly used for Church of England burials.
    Un-consecrated: This section the individual plots are consecrated shortly before each burial (if the particular faith requires) and is mainly used for faiths (and non-believers) other than Church of England burials.
    Cheers
    Guy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast