marion45

Unhappy Lost Family Member

I am looking for my husbands aunt, Lydia Amelia Gatland born in Banstead Surrey on 4th March 1882. who is on the 1901 census as being a domestic servant age 19. but I cannot find her after that, I have looked for her in bmd for a marriage and a death, also looked in parish records for the same, but she seems to have vanished. Can anyone advise me as to where to look for her now, she is the only member of the family we cannot put closure on.
    Help please.
    Last edited by marion45; 05-04-2006 at 2:09 PM.

Julie Tyrell

Hi

What was her name? Where do you think she was born and what year?

Thanks Julie

marion45

Smile lost family member

Hi Julie
    She was Lydia Amelia Gatland and she was in service in Cheam, Surrey a general servant domestic to a Malcolm Ross who was a piano inmporter employed.
    Marion45

Reputation beyond repute

If you've really ploughed through 50 years or so of the GRO indexes (not just had a quick look at FreeBMD) but found no marriage or death, you may just have to accept that some people came and went without leaving much of a paper trail.

All sorts of things might have happened. She might have just taken up with a man without marrying and her death was eventually registered under a different name. She might have fled the country. She might have died suddenly and was never identified.

marion45

Unhappy lost relative

Thanks for the reply,I have been through all the local parish records for her. I had thought that she may have not married, I just lived with someone, I suppose if she died under another name I will never find her. Could she have moved with the family if they moved out of the area or gone abroad, if so is there anyway I could find out.

Marion45

Do you hapeen to know what her father's name was? the reason I am asking is because my great great grandmother was Mary Ann Lewer until she married Reuben BRIDGER and when Reuben died she remarried William GATLAND and had more children.

being a true genealogist my brain locked onto the name before my mind was in gear and I sat staring for a minute or two before it clicked and I saw a potential connection - wouldn't that be exciting.

Ann
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

marion45

Red face Lost Relative

Hi
    Thanks for reply, yes it would be good if we had a connection, Lydia Amelia Gatlands father was John William Gatland, but we have a lot of Williams in the family, did your William come from Banstead in Surrey?

Marion45