Aalandjana

Default Millbay Barracks, Plymouth

Has anybody got any information about Millbay Barracks in Plymouth. My ancestor John Lambert (Middleton) was stationed there in 1901.
    Any help appreciated.

Allan

pwenlock

Hi Allan

The barracks were built circa 1794 to house prisoners of war. In the 1870's it was the Headquarters of the 2nd Devon Volunteer Corps & a large drill hall was built on the site.

The photo is of the large wall that used to run around the outside perimeter of the barracks in West Hoe Road.

Regards
    Paul

Aalandjana

Default 2nd Devon Volunteer Corps

Thanks a lot for the info. Would that mean that if my ancestor was stationed there in 1901 that he was in that regiment? Where could I find more about the 2nd Devon Volunteer Corps?

Thanks

Allan

pwenlock

I'll have a dig around for you Allan. I just wonder if he was in the Marines!
    Have you tried a search of service records at the NA?

Aalandjana

Default Millbay Barracks

My great uncle John George Lambert (Middleton) - he used both names - was in 1901 census in Millbay Barracks, Plymouth, 18 years old and his occupation was gunner as were most of the lads on the page, apart from one who was acting bombardier and another who was soldier, gunner, then some letters I can't read, finishing with W D RGA - I don't know if any of this helps.

His two brothers William Lambert Middleton and Bertie Lambert Middleton were in the navy. William as the oldest brother joined in 1897 on his 18th birthday and Bertie joined in 1902, when I suspect he was only 16. So there is a strong connection with the navy in the family, but I haven't found John George's Naval Records on NA website - only William's and Bertie's, which would confirm that he was in the army rather than navy.

Thank you for your help

Allan

whoami

Question

My grandfather was also stationed at Millbay Barracks Plymouth in 1901 census as a gunner. I am really confused as it looks as if they were in the Royal Garrison Artillery (i think) - could anyone tell me whether that would have been the Army or the Royal Marines? (and indeed whetehr they were stationed at Millbay in 1901)
    My grandfather went on to be in the RNAS in 1917 and then to the RAF so I feel it was unlikely to be army in 1901. I would really like to know as am trying to piece together a completely unknown part of his life - I always thought he was just a publican at that time!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi lorilou

Millbay/Mill Bay is the dock area of Plymouth, in the St Andrews district.
    Plymouth was one of the main centres for the Royal Marine Light Infantry. There were at least 2 Royal Marine Barracks in 1841 - at Mill Bay and East Stonehouse. (If you have access to the actual census, eg on Ancestry, you can read the documents)
    So yes, the 2 places are one and the same.

As you say, there is a John Shaw on page 3 of the Mill Bay Barracks census: age 20; occupation Private 53rd Regiment; not born in Devon (or Devonshire, as some sites insist on saying!)

If you can't find him in 1851, it might be worth searching "Vessels". He could have been at sea somewhere.

Sorry I can't be of more help - I'm a Beginner myself, learning all the time thanks to the lovely people on this site.
    Jane

Manchester Courier 30 Mar 1900

NEW COMPANIES OF GARRISON ARTILLERY
    Two new companies of Royal Garrison Artillery are to be formed on the 1st April, viz-
    No 31 Company Eastern Division Royal Garrison Artillery, to be formed at Shoeburyness
    No 31 Company Western Divison Royal Garrison Artillery, to be formed at Plymouth*

John Lambert, 18, Occpn "Soldier Gunner, 31 Coy, Wn Dn RGA, born Alford Lincs

It was raised at Tregantle