Julie Tyrell

Default 1936 St.Leonards on Sea

Does anybody know what or if it exsists now:

Oak Lea
    Silverhill Park
    St Leonards on Sea

By g.aunt lived there in 1937, she was recorded as being a domestic servant.

Also were there any children's home in the area at the time,
    thanks
    Julie

Gambrill

Hello Julie,

My wife & I both lived our childhood in Hastings & St. Leonards-on-Sea, and my wife actually lived in Silverhill. Silverhill is a district, and was originally the site of Silver Hill Farm, which had a windmill on the hill. My wife remembers playing in the farmland, and the (non-functioning) windmill in the late 1940s - early 1950s.

Neither of us can recall a Silverhill Park. I've checked the street atlas for the area, which has not changed much (roadwise) since the early 1900s. One possibility:

Alexander Park is a large park in Hastings, and a wooded undeveloped part of the parkland connects by footpath to Silverhill. This undeveloped woodland was known to us as the "upper park", but perhaps in the 1930s it was know as "Silverhill park". The road that runs alongside the upperland section of the park is called Upper Park Road. There are some large old houses that overlook the park (perhaps the house name was Oak Lea), and in the 1930s they would have employed domestic help. Perhaps Upper Park Road or some of the no-name offshoot lanes is what you are looking for.

There was (perhaps still is) a Dr Barnardo's (spelling?) boys home on Old Roar Road - that's the only one we can recall.

Hope this helps
    John

Julie Tyrell

John

Thank you for the information about Silverhill.

I took that address from my g.aunts marriage certicate (1937). My Aunt was born in 1912 in London but lived her life in St. Leonards on Sea, it is a bit of a mystery as her father died in 1917 and I know that her mother was living in Ramsgate in 1921. So I don't know whom or where she was living.

She may have been a domestic help at one of those big houses as you suggested,
    thanks again Julie

John Gilbert

Default Oaklea, Silverhill Park, St Leonards

Your correspondent said that there was a Barnardo's orphanage in Old Roar Road. Old Roar Road was originally called Silverhill Park. Silverhill Park is now applied to the locality, not just one road. Oaklea was a large house in large grounds off Silverhill Park. It existed by 1873. Oaklea Close (a road) seems to have been built in the grounds by the 1980s & the original house seems to have been demolished. I don't know if the orphanage was in Oaklea.

echo

I lived in Old Roar House children's home in 1980, which was a local authority home it was previously a barnardos home up until the 1960's, it has recently been closed but was a lovely house with big grounds, swimming pool and tennis court and backed on to some woods, if you google barnardos homes there are pictures of the house, hope this helps

Echo

Diana Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Gambrill View Post
    Hello Julie,

My wife & I both lived our childhood in Hastings & St. Leonards-on-Sea, and my wife actually lived in Silverhill. Silverhill is a district, and was originally the site of Silver Hill Farm, which had a windmill on the hill. My wife remembers playing in the farmland, and the (non-functioning) windmill in the late 1940s - early 1950s.

Neither of us can recall a Silverhill Park. I've checked the street atlas for the area, which has not changed much (roadwise) since the early 1900s. One possibility:

Alexander Park is a large park in Hastings, and a wooded undeveloped part of the parkland connects by footpath to Silverhill. This undeveloped woodland was known to us as the "upper park", but perhaps in the 1930s it was know as "Silverhill park". The road that runs alongside the upperland section of the park is called Upper Park Road. There are some large old houses that overlook the park (perhaps the house name was Oak Lea), and in the 1930s they would have employed domestic help. Perhaps Upper Park Road or some of the no-name offshoot lanes is what you are looking for.

There was (perhaps still is) a Dr Barnardo's (spelling?) boys home on Old Roar Road - that's the only one we can recall.

Hope this helps
    John
    Hello; I was born in The Briers Nursing Home, Silverhill Park on Old Roar Road. East Sussex Record Office says:In 1924 it was owned by Mr RM Coley; in 1930 by Mrs MR Newgass and in 1934 it was listed as a nursing home owned by Mrs PAK Brett who was also the matron. I have a photo of her holding me in front of the home (3-storey house really!) By 1966 it was owned by Major Henzell-Ascroft and was no longer a nursing home. No one can tell me for certain but it's possible this house was demolished in the 70s. Would be most grateful for any further information you can pass on. Can email pic of the house if you email me direct: djm DOT millage AT clear DOT net DOT nz
    Last edited by Jan1954; 03-06-2009 at 4:33 PM. Reason: Email address edited against spammers

Reputation beyond repute

An address described as The Briers, Old Roar Road, TN37 7HX appears to be an apartment block

https://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=tn3...7hx|TN37%207HX