bifurnell

Question The Black Rabbit Pub, Atundel, West Sussex

Can anyone help with any information regarding, My Great Granfather & Grandmother Reuben Abel & Emily Furnell, who I am tolduse to manage or worked in this Public House in 1900's
    I have as yet been unable to Prove or disprove this story after repeted seaches oin various areas

Thanks in advance

Bruce Furnell

Fulhamster

Dear Bruce ,
    I am new to this hobby but thought that I might offer a few ideas. The web address above is a link for the Records Office for the area in which your g/grandparents may have been landlords of the pub in question. they might possibly have the licensing magistrates records which would show the lincencees names.
    Secondly, there are things called 'directories' that list businesses in different areas. I have not used them myself (although I shall soon have to learn how) but they are supposed to be quite helpfull.
    Perhaps you know the name of the brewery? They may have records or, failing that the brewery that now owns the pub may have inherited the records.
    As I say, I am new to this but hope that these ideas may be helpful. I would not be suprised if one of our more experienced members comes along and points the way forward. as everyone here seems to be only too wiiling to help 'newbies'.
    I wish you luck in your search,
    All the very best,
    Reg.

bifurnell

Thanks Reg
    I have looked in a couple of directories for sussex but could not find the pub lisd.
    I have also tried the pub history web site and posted the same message to no avail.
    I will give that web site a try, it may turn up trumps

Thanks again & good luck in your searches
    Bruce

Mary Young

Hi, Bruce
    Sorry, don't know anything about your family - but was the place ATundel? Or a typo for ARundel?

Fulhamster

Hello Bruce,
    Just a quick thought, is the pub still there? You could write to the landlord on the pure off-chance that they might have some info or may be able to point you in the right direction? A slim chance I know! As I sit here, another idea springs to mind, what about the local Licensed Victuallers Association? The guv' of the pub could give you their address, maybe they have records?
    If any of these work, a big if I know, could you stick a note up here as I am now intrigued!
    Fingers crossed,
    Reg

Guy Etchells

The Sussex 1909 Kelly's Directory(Reference #0331)

Black Rabbit, Daniel LEE, Soth Stoke, Arundel.
    As does Kellys 1911 directory and also Kellys 1899 directory

The Kelly's Directory of Sussex 1882(Reference #0911)

That at least gives you a starting point of around 1911.
    Cheers
    Guy

Jane M

Hi Bruce,

I took an interest in your posting as I know the Black Rabbit quite well from my ill-spent youth

The pub is not as old as I had imagined. Any documentation would be at the West Sussex Records Office at Chichester as suggested by Fulhamster. Whilst I've been surfing a couple of other people have posted replies with suggestions I would have given. The address of the pub is The Black Rabbit, Offham, South Stoke, Arundel BN18 9PB. 01 903 882828
    Another thought, would your ancestor be there on the 1901 census? Worth checking. Was he the licensee?
    Jane