kazrbutler

Question 1861 lookup please: Mold, Flint: James MORGAN

Could someone please help me look for the following. I have been looking for the following on 1837 online in the 1861 census, to cut down on options for tracking down the marriage, with no luck:

James Morgan. I believe at this time he may have been married to Mary. I have found them in 1881 on RG11/5508 Fo56:
    James 43, Collier
    Mary 46
    Both born in Mold, Flint.
    children Thomas 18, Joseph 14, Benjamin 11, John 5
    All born in Mold, Flint.

I would expect them to be in the Mold area.

The closest I can find is a James Gorman, which strikes me as a possible Morgan mistranscription. However, I have come across perfectly legible names not indexed on 1861, so any help appreciated. Oh that I could buy a copy of this census form ACDB - that would eliminate all doubt.

Any help appreciated,
    Karen

lisawagner

Default Morgan

Hi Karen,

have had a look in the 1861 and 1851 for both England and Wales but can not seem to find anything that fits, had a look to see if I could find the birth of Thomas and the best fit is Jun quarter of 1863 Holywell which covers Mold. Looking throught the marriage index I found a James Morgan for Jun quarter of 1862 Holywell, ref 11b 474, checked for anything in the freebmd but no others listed to get a surname for Mary, did find one in the North Wales BMD which listed a James Morgan married Mary Hornby and when I checked on the St Catherines Index she has the same reference number, though could not find her in the 1861 or 1851 census either. Not sure if this is any help. If you state where the James Gorman entry was I will check it out for you.

Regards,
    Lisa

kazrbutler

Thanks for the help Lisa,

That marriage looks a better fit than one I found, which was much too early.

I can look at the Gorman entry myself on 1837online, just wondered if someone searching elsewhere with a different 1861 census index could come up with something I couldn't.

It is of course possible that James was not in the area at all, but had moved temporarily to somewhere else in Lancashire / Cheshire / Wales, but searching for Morgans born in Flintshire is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Oh well, if I follow up on some of the other information I have about the family, and the marriage you suggested, perhaps that might give me a few other clues.

Thanks again,
    Karen