Mistyisle

Question Godfrey /Geoffrey May

I have Godfrey May or spelling could be Geoffrey who went to Australia sometime after 1909 , He was born in Dartford Kent in 1888 I have searched the https://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html and have been unable to find him. The name MAY is a very difficult name to search as you get may if even in a sentence. How else might I find him ?

Wirral

Hi Mistyisle

Welcome to the forum
    Are you trying to find Godfrey May after he went to Oz or before he went there? I can't help with the Australian side, but have found a possible candidate in the 1901 census. RG13/705 folio 61 page 13, 14 Charles St, Stone, Dartford, Kent
    James E. May, head M 54 Cement works labourer, [born] Kent Dartford
    Sarah E. " wife M 48, Kent Chatham
    Ernest E. " son S 23 Cement works labourer, Kent Swanscombe
    Jolly J. " son S 22 Cement works labourer, Kent Swanscombe
    Ivana {?} " dau S 19 kitchen maid domestic, Kent Stone
    Christina " dau S 18 Housemaid domestic, Kent Stone
    Herbert G. " son S 16 Cement works point boy, Kent Stone
    Leonard E. " son S 14, Kent Stone
    Godfrey W. " son S 13, Kent Stone
    Walter R. " son S 10, Kent Stone
    Emily N. ", dau, 6, Kent Stone

Mistyisle

Thank you for the reply but it's after he went to Australia I'm looking for.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mistyisle
    Thank you for the reply but it's after he went to Australia I'm looking for.
    It would be helpful if you had a clue as to which State he went to. Our Civil Registration records are not National, so you'll have to look for him state by state.

Indexation of immigration records after 1900 is not very advanced at this stage, so you'll have to rely on Civil Registration.

Contents of indexes varies from state to state, but if you know his parents names it will help to identify him, as they often contain parents names. You didn't say whether the census entry in the last response was the right one.

I've looked at the NSW online deaths index for you, there is one Geoffrey there, but I wasn't certain of his parents' names. https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHist...calRecords.htm

You can check it again yourself to be sure on the above link. There are also four records of a marriage for a Geoffrey, but not Godfrey.

I've checked Victorian deaths from 1900 to 1985, but can't see anything obvious there unless the father is not James. I forgot to look for marriages - it's past my bedtime, so I'll think about it tomorrow.

But there are several states left, and don't forget New Zealand!

Best wishes,

Lenore Frost
    Essendon, Vic

haylierose

each state archive in australia holds the records of the ships and passengers arriving in their ports each state in australia has their own archives this could be a long proccess if you do not know where he actully came to. was he part of an immergration scheme?

TomED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistyisle View Post
    I have Godfrey May or spelling could be Geoffrey who went to Australia sometime after 1909 , He was born in Dartford Kent in 1888 I have searched the https://www.naa.gov.au/the_collection/recordsearch.html and have been unable to find him. The name MAY is a very difficult name to search as you get may if even in a sentence. How else might I find him ?
    Hello Mistyisle, I have just come across your message and I can help you with your query. I have obtained his marriage cert from aus.
    Tom.

Jan1954

Hello Tom,

Unfortunately, Mistyisle has not been on the forum since 2006 and so will not necessarily see your post. However, you could send them an email or private message by clicking on their user name and picking your option from the drop-down box.

TomED

I will wait a while longer as I may have replied to Mistyisle on Ancestry last year under a different user name.
    Tom.

Mistyisle

Thank you I have completed my search for Godfrey May.