wallydog

Smile Industrial school of the Good Shepherd, Southowram

Hi I discovered that one of my ancestors was sent to an Industrial school Nr Halifax.
    It's the District Industrial School of the Good Shepherd in Southowram.
    Does anyone know the address of this institution or if the building is still standing?
    Or if there are any photographs I can access?
    He was on the 1891 census at the age of 13! Alberto Blanco was his name.
    I would like to access records to see why he was sent there and when?
    Thanks!

Lynda Cunningham

Hi wallydog

I did a Google search and it would seem the records are held at the Public Records Office, Kew

please see source and more info on the following link
    www.
    missing-ancestors.com/industrial_school_for_r-c%20boys%20shibden%20york%20info.htm

best wishes
    Lynda

wallydog

Smile Industrial school

Thanks Lynda,

I did go on this website, but it doesn't give an address as such! Just the area!
    Thanks anyway!

Wallydog

Lynda Cunningham

Hi again Wallydog

OK so you'd seen that one.

More from Google at https://
    members.aol.com/calderdale/d.html ..........

Shibden Industrial School
    An industrial school established in 1877 on the site of an earlier National School which had been set up by the Listers in 1857 at Dove House, Shibden for the education of around 200 difficult, troublesome, and backward boys between 6 and 14. It was a Roman Catholic institution.
    The school had workshops, a swimming bath and a gymnasium.
    It was later renamed Shibden Hall Croft
    From 1913, it was supervised by the Presentation Brothers until the school closed in 1932.
    The buildings were demolished in 1981 for housing development

Guessing the development might use the old name I put Shibden Hall Croft into Streetmap.co.uk ..........

www.
    streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=411060&y=425550&z=1&sv=Shibden+Hall+C roft&st=6&tl=Shibden+Hall+Croft,+Halifax,+West+Yor kshire,+HX3&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

Info on Shibden Hall, including address (this is just one of many sites on Google)
    www.
    aboutbritain.com/ShibdenHall.htm

and

West Yorkshire Archive Service
    www.
    archives.wyjs.org.uk/index.asp?pg=ablocc2.html

best wishes
    Lynda
    Last edited by Lynda Cunningham; 14-02-2006 at 1:45 PM.

wallydog

Thumbs up Institutions

Hi Lynda,

Thanks again for all the info!
    I emailed Shibden Hall and a very kind gentleman there has sent me some photographs of the School!

Thanks for all the pointers!

Best regards
    Wallydog

Lynda Cunningham

Hi Wallydog

That's brilliant

best wishes & happy hunting
    Lynda

Marco

Shibden Industrial School of the Good Shepherd- The address was 9 Shibden Hall Road Southowram and shows your relative on the 1891 Census as Albert Blanco Schoolboy and Born in 1878 in Leeds. Shibden Hall Croft is now houses as My brother's God Parent Lives in one of them.Also found the address when looking for a relative of mine and address of the school was on the record. Don't think it still exists.However best chance of a photo is on Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion website as has old photo's there.

Marco.

I am researching John Fitzpatrick from Wakefield who was living at the Industrial School of the Good Shepherd at Southowram. I realize that the records are loated at Kew. I am hoping to find someone who can do some research for me. I understand that I will pay for documents before they are sent to me.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by iginio View Post
    I am researching John Fitzpatrick from Wakefield who was living at the Industrial School of the Good Shepherd at Southowram. I realize that the records are loated at Kew.
    The records held at Kew (in MH 102) are general policy records. They may not be helpful for researching an individual.

West Yorkshire Archives Service in Leeds looks a better bet, as they have the school registers from 1898.

They have a research service and will do the work for you. You can download a research application form from their website.