holc

Default HOLCOMBE family in Wales

Hi,
    I'm Hazel from Australia, so not at all familiar with Wales. I am reasearching the Holcombe family originally from Somerset England. However my husband's grandmother, Caroline Elizabeth Jones was born in Tredegar Wales.

Francis Edward Holcombe was born in Donyatt Somerset on 7/4/1876 to parents Robert Holcombe and Honoria Podger. When Robert died at Broadway Hill in Somerset in 1885, his son Francis Edward was sent to Wales to live with an older married brother, Frederick John Holcombe married to Ann Bath.

Francis Edward worked as a miner, and in later years worked at the Klanhilleth Colliery in an official capacity. I have a very impressive, framed Illuminated Address which was presented to him, from Klanhilleth Management, on his and his family's departure for Australia in 1911.

He married Caroline Elizabeth Jones on 12/9/1896 in the English Baptist Chapel, Abershchan, Wales. They lived at Crumlin, where 6 of there children were born....Florence Irene, Archibald Jones, Ethel Victoria, Olive, Herbert & 1 girl-unknown name. Another daughter was supposed to have been born there, but died. There were two more children born in Australia, Francis Owen and Samuel. My husbands father being Francis Owen.

Can anyone at all help me with ANY information about this family, or how could I find the deceased childs information?
    All of that generation are deceased so the contact with the welsh family was lost, however there are still relatives in Wales I just have to contact the correct ones, if I can.

I would be thrilled to hear anything about my inquiry, and would be only too pleased to help with info from Australian records if needed.

Many thanks,
    Hazel

Believe Frank Holcombe was an overman at Llanhilleth colliery.

Famous for offering help & advice

1911 census states 5 children born,5 living.