Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    genfind

Default HELP !! GURR / STIMSON Family Info needed

Hi - Can anyone out there shed some light on the GURR & STIMSON families from the Sussex area. I am more interested in a lady called Louisa STIMSON who was allegedly born in 1902 in Hastings,Sussex. I cannot find any birth info on her whatsoever including scouring the BMD Indexes from 1900 onwards ! However we do know that she was killed in a car crash in Hastings in Jun or Jul 1984. If anyone has a copy of the newspaper of that time I would love to have a copy to see if there are any obituaries for her or articles on the crash. She did have 3 children out of wedlock (One being my Grandfther George who passed in Nov 2004). She married in the 30`s to a man called Alfred GURR who was over 30 years her senior and had a further 3 children. Although some of this family are still alive nobody will spill any beans
    We also know that Louisa was a domestic servant in 1925 at Clarence House,Bexhill and lived at East Stone House in Battle,Sussex.
    If anyone has any info on these two location it would also be very greatly appreciated. As you can see this lady is a mystery. We even ordered her marriage certificate to see who her father was so that we can work the STIMSON family tree back further but there was a line through the space with no name. I am sure she had something to hide but without the name of her father or mother we are finding it difficult to trace backwards due to her birth year (Unless we wait for the next census in 2012)!!!!
    Please HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP P !!!!!
    Thank you all
    Jason

kellybc

Default Louisa Gurr

The death records show Louisa Gurr died 7/1984 in Hastings/R. The index record no. is 18 742. It shows her birth date as 20 April 1902.

Hope this helps.

BK

Jane M

Jason you could contact the Hastings & St. Leonards Observer to see if they have archive material for 1984. If it was a car accident I'm sure it would have been reported and there might have been a coroners report.

If you couldn't find her birth registration perhaps she wasn't registered in the name of STIMSON.

Jane

genfind

Hi - Well thank you for that ! I shall certainly chase up further on this info.Thanx again

genfind

Hello Jane - Thank you for that link to the Hastings Observer. I shall certainly be getting in touch with them to see if they have anything on the crash at all. It would be very interesting to find out.
    Thanx again for everything
    Jason

genfind

Default Gurr - No Luck !

Hi everyone - Thank you to all of those who have tried to help me so far.
    Unfortunately I am still no closer to locating Louisa GURR and she really is beginning to frustrate me big time !
    I am more than sure that she may have had something to hide as far as family issues were concerned at the time. Let`s face it.....she did not have the best track record from what we can see. She had three children out of wedlock before marrying a man who was 30 + years her senior and having more children. I suppose the scandal of this alone would have been enough to get her cast out from the rest of the family. Apparently her mother (Who we also know nothing of) would not speak to her and it was only later in life that she did actually speak to her.
    Please...............if anyone out there knows anything about the GURR family I would be more than interested to hear of anything you may be able to tell me.
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPP PPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!
    Thank you everyone
    Jason

Jane M

Hi Jason,

Looking at the 1901 census, the only Stimson's in Sussex are in Brighton.
    There are 4 households,
    Emma Stimson head b. 1844 with son Thomas 1887 both born Brighton.
    Henry Stimson 1839 with son William H. 1871, dau in law, Emma & g/son, William H. 1898. All males born Brighton.
    John Stimson 1878 b. Brighton wife Maud 1879. John b. Brighton
    Thomas Stimson 1856 wife Ellen 1855 dau Alice 1880 & son Walter 1894. All born Brighton.
    Of these 4 households only 2 could be of an age to be the parents of Louisa,
    William & Emma & John & Maud.
    I checked the GRO indexes for June & September quarters 1902 using various spellings but no luck. FreeBMD shows that most births under the name STIMSON occur in Brighton, so maybe your 'family legend' of her being born in Hastings is not so. I found Edith Florence Stimson born June quarter 1902 Brighton (2b 250) perhaps Louisa wasn't her given name?

Jane

genfind

Default Thank you JANE M

Hello Jane - Thank you for taking all of that time to look for Louisa for me. I have already toyed with the idea that Louisa was not her given name but trying to prove that is also very difficult.
    We do know that she had a younger brother called James (Jim) who we know was younger than her and apparently died in Aldershot. His death must have taken place after 1984 because Louisa was killed in a crash in 1984 and we have been told that her brother was at her funeral.
    If we can find his birth record for definite then we could order his birth certificate to get the parents names and then we may get a little closer to Louisa (If that was her name !)
    It also turns out that Louisa had another two sisters so now we are really stumped and don`t know which way to turn.
    It has also since been revealed that Louisa and James may well have been born in London but we have yet to look at this.
    If any of you kind people could be of further help please get in touch.
    Thank you
    Jason

Jane M

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear you're not having much luck with Louisa.
    There are some births for James Stimson on FreeBMD which are possibilities,
    Dec. quarter 1902, Croydon (2a 314)
    Dec. quarter 1907, London C. (1c 6)
    Sep. quarter 1908, Southwark (1d 136)

You can search the GRO indexes for free (if you didn't already know it)
    Jane

genfind

Default Thank you Jane

Sorry for the delay in responding to you all but we got caught up on another tree branch and we all know what it`s like once you start climbing a tree and you get so high that you can`t get down !!!
    Anyway - I followed your advice Jane and contacted the Hastings Observer but they don`t hold any archives going back that far.
    I have been advised to contact the Jubilee Library in Brighton as they say they hold all of the archive material there.
    I just hope they are willing to help but if not I would gladly pay someone who reads this and lives in that area to go in and have a look for me. : (
    I am trying and trying but they just seem to be constantly engaged .... gggrrrr !
    You know - I am sure that Louisas ghost is snooping around and pulling the plug on everything we do to try and find her !!! :-0
    Anyway back to the drawing board so if anyone can help at all I would really appreciate it.
    In the meantime if I do manage to get hold of the library and find anything out I shall let you all know.
    Thanks everyone
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast