Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PenelopeCarter

Default HARDWICK surname

Thomas HARDWICK m. Louisa WILSON, née SANDS in Dudley, Staffordshire in 1843. I think he came from Heathcote, near Biggin. Any help re the HARDWICKs would be greatly appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PenelopeCarter
    Thomas HARDWICK m. Louisa WILSON, née SANDS in Dudley, Staffordshire in 1843. I think he came from Heathcote, near Biggin. Any help re the HARDWICKs would be greatly appreciated.
    Do you have them in the 1851 census?

I can see a Tho. and Louisa HARDWICKE [sic] listed, living in Bilston. He's 41, a "Labourer in Iron ??? [illegible]" born in [looks like...] Heath Cote, Derbyshire. Louisa is 39 and born in Barwash, Sussex. But the eldest son is 16 years old...

If this looks like your family perhaps Louisa was Thomas' second wife? [Reference: HO107/2021 Folio 787 Page 25]

Trish

PenelopeCarter

Louisa had been married before to a Mr Wilson, in 1838. Yes I have found them on the 1851 census, thank you.

janbooth

Default Thomas HARDWICK

Could this be your Thomas in the 1841 of Sedgeley, Staffs:

PRO Ref: HO107/998/14, folio 7, page 5
    Hall Green

Thomas HARDWICK 30 Labourer Born in county yes
    Hannah do 30 yes
    Mary do 11 yes
    William do 6 yes
    Harriet do 3 yes
    Jabez do 2 Mo yes

Looking at the 1851 census entry for Thomas, could his place of birth be Hall Green?? I can't find either Harriet or Jabez on the 1851 census and there is the death registered of a Harriet HARDWICK in Wolverhampton in 1844 according to FreeBMD. The only other Thomas HARDWICK I could find on the 1841 of about the correct age with a Derbyshire/Staffordshire connection was one in Pleasley, Derbyshire. Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet.

PenelopeCarter

Many thanks for this information. I have just received the marriage certificate for Thomas HARDWICK and Louise WILSON née SANDS. It seems they were both widowed at the time of their marriage in January 1843 (both full age - no specifics given). Their addresses are both given as Hall Fields. The parish was Sedgley, so maybe this is the same T.H. Louisa and Thos had a da. Charlotte b. 1846.

clarefmshaw

Hi Penelope

A complete longshot here, but have you found any links with the Suffolk Hardwicks?

best wishes
    Clare

clarefmshaw

Actually Penelope, I've just checked for Hardwicks on the 1881 census (which is quite good at giving you an idea of numbers) and realised that there were loads!

Sorry!!! I've had it in my mind that there weren't many Hardwicks per se, but...... it was Suffolk that I was thinking about....DUUUHHH!! I'm already beating myself about the head.

Clare

PenelopeCarter

Many thanks for this. I have checked on IGI and can't find a Thos HARDWICK with a father called Joseph.

Egeria

Dear Penelope Carter. I have found the marriage for Thomas Hardwick and Louisa Wilson, nee Sands. It is on Family Search.org.They married at Sedgeley in Staffordshire, (Dudley is in Worcestershire) and the date is 1843. Father of Thomas is Joseph. Father of Louisa is Stephen SANNS!!

You may be interested tgo know that the Hardwicks in Staffordshire trace their ancestors back to the Hardwick of Hardwick Hall, Doe Lea, Chesterfield. I am a Hardwick descendent and am trying to piece together the records of this ancient family from the records and which frequently conflict with each other. SOURCES: HARDWICK sources are: my own family tree on Ancestry.co.uk, which is open for all to see. Its name is DANCE FAMILY. "The Reliquary" a journal for archaeology, history, natural history, which is published by the Derbyshire Archeological Society. It was started in the 1800's by antiquarians of the time - all learned gentlemen - Try Vol 130, published 2010 for an article entitled "The Hardwicks in Derbyshire 15th and 16th centuries", written by Philip Riden of the School of History at University of Nottingham. Walter Hardwick born 1498 at Great Moor House, Pattingham, Staffordshire, married his cousin, Petronella Hardwick c1495 at Whytwell Hall, Whitwell, Chesterfield. They married 5 October 1513 at Pattingham. She is the daughter of Thomas Hardwick born 1472 at Hardwick Hall and Petronella Vernon (of the Vernons of Haddon Hall, Bakewell) Walter and Petronella had a son Thomas who married Joan Clemson. ADAM de Herdewycke c1235, of Hardwick Hall, Doe Lea, purchased a property in the manor and parish of Pattingham. This estate is named Hardwick. The parish registers of the church of St Chad at Pattingham will give lots of info.

Hi Egeria
    Penelope has not been on the forum for some time. It might be better to send her a pm as she will receive an email notification if the email address is still active.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast