Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    clare_bear

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I put Cornwall Poor Laws into google and this was the first site I opened. Down the page to staff members and there is a Mr Wearne!
    Now to read about the Poor Laws.

https://www.institutions.org.uk/workh..._workhouse.htm
    Thanks very much, Christina. I'll take a read later (when I've got some work done!!).

Clare

clare_bear

I put Cornwall Poor Laws into google and this was the first site I opened. Down the page to staff members and there is a Mr Wearne!
    Now to read about the Poor Laws.

.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/corn/helston_workhouse[/url].
    Wearne is quite a common name in the area, but you never know that may well be connected with the family rumour that Carrie had a sister who was taken in by a Wearne family! Equally, they may have made the whole story up as an elaborate ruse to cover the lies and shame!

I have no idea where to start looking for potential records that may help re: poor law/workhouses!

clare_bear

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes View Post
    Hi,

Would this birth registration be worth considering

Crisilda Caroline J Williams
    Jan/Feb/Mar
    District Helston
    Quote Originally Posted by clare_bear View Post
    You could be onto something here.

I can't find a 1901 census entry for a Crisilda Williams (no death entry seems to pop up in a quick search either) and I can only find one for a Caroline Williams in the area. This Caroline Williams was born in Mawnan rather than the Helston of the birth reg, so it's probably not the same one. This may be a lead.....
    Ok, as this appeared to be my only lead, I have eventually ordered the birth certificate, but I'm none the wiser!!

The info on the certificate is:

Crisilda Caroline James (!) Williams born on 14th Jan 1900 at Polengrain (? I can't really read it), Wendron.
    - any ideas where 'Polengrain' is or what it actually says? It doesn't ring a bell!

Father: William Williams (a solicitor's clerk)
    Mother: Ethel Williams formerly Williams - which suggests she's married, but as the names are the same could be misleading?

Informant: Ann Williams (the mark of rather than a sig), registered a month later on 17th Feb 1900

Any ideas where I should go from here to try to disprove/confirm a link to my Carrie Williams? I was hoping something clicked with the info I already had from family hearsay (father's name John, or born at Carnebone, for instance), but nothing does so I have no idea!

On her marriage certificate (Carrie's), her father was called John and was a tin miner, whereas William is a Solicitor's Clerk. Could the details on Carrie's marriage cert have all been made up (info she was given about her father)?

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Cheers
    Clare

clare_bear

Apparently there is a 'Pollengrain', a hamlet near Wendron! I now have the census entry for what could be Crisilda's family at Pollengrain. However, it doesn't look simple, so I'll try to get my head around it and then post again!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

The Florence Williams listed on the same census page as Carrie in 1901, is living in 1911 at Brixton Tce, Penrose Rd, Helston, husband is John Williams occ carpenter and builder. 3 more children since 1901.
    Julie

clare_bear

Quote Originally Posted by blue eyes View Post
    Hi,

The Florence Williams listed on the same census page as Carrie in 1901, is living in 1911 at Brixton Tce, Penrose Rd, Helston, husband is John Williams occ carpenter and builder. 3 more children since 1901.
    Hmmm, that's quite interesting, thanks blue eyes.

clare_bear

OK, advances have been made!

Crisilda Caroline James Williams is my Carrie! I have found no marriage, death or census entries for Crisilda and have been assured by a lady at the Cornwall FHS that it then must be her.

As Ethel Williams is her mother, Ann Williams registered the birth and it occurred in Pollengrain, some clever people on another forum found the 1901 census entry (with no Crisilda on it, as she is now Carrie and in Helston with Fanny Allen!). Ethel lives with her mum, Ann and her father William Pearce Williams. Her sister Loveday is also there, as are 2 children listed as Williams' grandchildren, Flossie and Ernest. Flossie has now been identified as Ethel's child with no father on the birth certificate, and she also had another son (no known father) who was fostered out, much like Crisilda/Carrie. Ernest's parentage is yet to be discovered! It would seem that Ethel was a girl of slightly dubious virtue!

Thanks for your help - this is developing into a fun branch of my family tree!

Great work clare_bear. Your persistence is paying off and thank you for keeping us up to date. Mind you it means I go back to the beginning each time
    to re-acquaint myself with the thread. It has grown in to quite a story eh?
    Christina

Colin Rowledge

Great work clare_bear. Your persistence is paying off and thank you for keeping us up to date. Mind you it means I go back to the beginning each time
    Christina
    Paticularly as I have an interest in the family name TRESIDDER

Colin

clare_bear

Christina
    It certainly has! I can't remember what happened a few pages back, you're more dedicated than me, Christina, if you trawl back through all of it!

Clare

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789